a friend has disappeared..

Vegas12

BAMF+
Or he is dead in a canyon somewhere
This statement is difficult....for me at least.

"Duncan said Wild is reported to have been upset but is not a danger to anyone, which is why they issued the request to "stay with him."

"
Stay with him" means there is hope.....the part about "being upset" could mean he is suicidal...

OP
fish_antlers
Website
www.bikeland.org
I don't disagree with you - though he has been in the wind for a long time now. That is REAL wilderness... not sure how many people here can directly relate to just how "real" Canadian wilderness actually is. Find it hard to have hope given the circumstances and the location. Pk and I used to dirt bike up there. Roads go on forever you have to set your trip meter and turn back at about 1/3 of your potential travel range or you legitimately risk not making it back. Spend a night there without supplies and you're as good as dead. One time we went up there... was totally normal weather - sunny and 68' where the road ended and the trail began. Half an hour into it we were literally on a 1 lane dirt road with 30 foot vertical snow walls on either side. Have a epic pic of that somewhere. We turned back immediately - caught us completely off guard. Come around a corner and you have a completely different weather pattern, topography, vegetation. Also there are a LOT of burned out and ditched / shot up cars up there. It's where you go to make shit disappear. It's all bad.

Stetson

BAMF
I don't disagree with you - though he has been in the wind for a long time now. That is REAL wilderness... not sure how many people here can directly relate to just how "real" Canadian wilderness actually is. Find it hard to have hope given the circumstances and the location. Pk and I used to dirt bike up there. Roads go on forever you have to set your trip meter and turn back at about 1/3 of your potential travel range or you legitimately risk not making it back. Spend a night there without supplies and you're as good as dead. One time we went up there... was totally normal weather - sunny and 68' where the road ended and the trail began. Half an hour into it we were literally on a 1 lane dirt road with 30 foot vertical snow walls on either side. Have a epic pic of that somewhere. We turned back immediately - caught us completely off guard. Come around a corner and you have a completely different weather pattern, topography, vegetation. Also there are a LOT of burned out and ditched / shot up cars up there. It's where you go to make shit disappear. It's all bad.
There was a guy who wanted to disappear here in Maine. He walked into the woods and basically stayed there for almost 30 years. Committed over 1000 burglaries from unoccupied camps over the years. Finally got caught after game cameras were invented. Had accidental contact with two human beings the whole time. No one ever found his campsite. Didn't have fires during the winter when smoke could be seen, really amazing. Google "The North Pond Hermit" for an interesting story.

Last edited:

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
Has a direction of travel been established?

Has near by water sources been searched down current of vehicle location?

OP
fish_antlers
Website
www.bikeland.org
meaning lost his way in life a little?
No... meaning that it's Oct 10 and he's been gone since Sept 24.

Rhino - no idea but can only assume so. Authorities are handling SAR now that the crowdfunded search located the vehicle. Blind to what is going on spare updates in the media. They have multiple versions of you working here searching and I'm confident that the Squamish SAR teams are equally as professional as yourself and your teammates.

That being said (and I know I've posted this before) the "wilderness" of Canada begins about 6 blocks north of our house. We live on the hairy edge of the forest. Screenshot_20201011-070936_Earth.jpg

Consider North American civilization to more or less end at that red line. It's basically wild from there north. Sure there are a few small towns and the odd ski resort but that's about it. We're within 5 blocks of that red line. Mountain bikers, hikers etc all park near our house to go into the back country. At least twice a week (and 3 x on sundays) SAR is flying over our place and up into the woods to drag someone out. Awful shit. The ambulances marshal the top of our road and they have a sort of chariot combined with a wheel Barrow to carry people down the trails.

Point being... lots of times they dont find the people. And those are people who have done the right thing. Left a note or informed someone they are going and when they should return. There is clear signage that if your car is there overnight SAR and the police will be called.

Those who arent found usually turn up in the spring or summer when the rivers have died down to a trickle.

ysr_racer

12 gauge matzo ball shooter
When I lived in Arizona, they always said if your car breaks down, stay with it. When someone went missing they would find their car in a day or two, and their body six months later.

I remember one TV psa where they showed what a car looked like from a helicopter, and what a person looked like. Always stay with your car.

Team222

BAMF
Talk about the edge of civilization, that red line certainly explains a lot! Your updates have been very informative and sensitive to the situation, thanks for sharing all this!

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
I did a single engine plane search in a densely wooded state preserve on the NY/ NJ
border.. it took two weeks to locate the plane on 12 hour daylight shifts with 9 teams.. Airial could not locate the plane even though multiple passes where done in the grid area of final location. The plane was 35 feet off the ground nose down.. wings folded back.. the trees had little damage and basically the forest opened up on impact and then closed back up hiding the plane from airial detection. My dog and four other dogs grided that area with no indication. A large ground team found the plane when some one found a small part of the plane that broke off and looked up.. pilot was recovered., Deceased.

There are many who are never found in the Adirondacks here in NY. Specialy elderly hunters.. sometimes they are found the following spring or following hunter season from hickers or hunters.. same in cold snow country the following season melt off sometimes get them discovered. Terrain is much like you described and only the best of the best can actually do a decent search there.

Finding a lost subject is not always successful..more times then not it is not.. just look at how many missing people go on the Missing list yearly never to be found.

I recently was asked to help for a missing 47 year old mentally challengedman as a favor and in an unofficial.capacity.. subject never stayed any where but his mom's house his entire life. He went to stay with his sister one weekend at her apartment and at 11:30 pm he packed his things and ran out the door.. the ring camera had him going south. I was asked to help on hour 43 from a friend that was helping the family do a poster campaign .. NYPD had the ball and basically was waiting for him to pop up.. weather was in the high 90s so water source was where I put my money on.. I did hasty searches of all surrounding water sources with nothing turning up. the family was checking hospitals and hanging flyers in a five mile radious.. hour 68 had tips pointing to his moms area 14 miles away.. but when NYPD checked cameras on the reported location of the store subject was not scene. It still in the high 90s and now he has to pop up for water or is bed down dehydrated... Hour 92 I got a call that Subject was at Columbia Hospital.. an ambulance crew who seen the flyer stopped outside the hospital and asked a very sunburned man was his name Richie. He said yes. he was just sitting there in front of the hospital under some shade.. not asking for help and many people walking by... He was 23 miles from original last known point.. no money.. and 7 year old mind capacity. He was alive and other then sunburn was 100%..

The sister asked me early in the search how will I find her if he is dead.. I said I'm not doing a recovery..I'm doing a live find search.. I asked her why do you think he is dead. She said how can he be alive.. my simple reply ... Never assume someone's will and ability to survive. We will bring him home.

Woodland searchers are by far much harder then urburn.. but goes to show even in a city of 9+ million people very few people take the time to look at one another and one can be lost for days in the middle of a crowd.

What sad for the family is how things must be kept from the family.. just Like Richie's family II.C. was releasing ZERO information.. on the missing as bad as it sounds every one is a suspect until foul play is rulled out 110%. Frustrating I know but keep the faith he still walks the earth..

ysr_racer

12 gauge matzo ball shooter
There was a news story a while ago about a missing man, last seen at an airport. Two days later they found him at the airport.

Alive

He sat down, had a stroke, and sat there for two days until someone finally asked him if he needed help.

Hiding in plain sight.

OP
fish_antlers
Website
www.bikeland.org
They just posted this update (FYI Thanksgiving weekend here)

Oct 11 - The week long Search and Rescue ground mission culminated yesterday in Squamish with a massive turn-out. This endeavour was one of the largest mounted in the region in the last ten years. The area surrounding the location of Darcy’s vehicle was well covered by land, water, and air. Despite these considerable undertakings I am saddened to report that no sign of Darcy has been found.

In recognition of their extraordinary efforts and on behalf of the community search collective, we want to thank all of the members of Squamish SAR including BJ Chute, Steve Peters, Gerald Wolfe, Cindy Welsh, Sue Nicholson, Landon James, as well as Paul Berry from Comox Search and Rescue and the over 70 highly trained search and rescue volunteers from all over the Lower Mainland, Sea-to-Sky Corridor, Sunshine Coast and Vancouver Island who took part in the search for Darcy.

We want to thank Ben Hawkins and his team at Blackcomb Helicopters for taking us up in their Bell 407 yesterday for an aerial perspective.

We want to thank the Squamish RCMP officers, pilots, spotters, dog teams, drone teams, and the swift water experts that took part, and for the RCMP’s continued commitment to act on any further leads that may come forth.

We extend our gratitude to all of the community search volunteers who continue to help with raising awareness about Darcy’s disappearance and to all of those individuals, unions, guilds and businesses who have contributed monetarily to help fund some of the search and rescue work.

And last but not least we want to thank the people of Squamish for hosting this small army of volunteers.

Search and Rescue teams in the province of British Columbia operate as non-profit organizations. They are staffed by dedicated, selfless individuals who routinely put themselves in harm’s way to help strangers in need. We encourage you to visit their respective websites and consider making donations, arranging sponsorships, and perhaps even volunteering.

Here is an abbreviated list:

BC Search and Rescue Association - BC Search and Rescue Association | Representing the SAR stakeholders of British Columbia

Comox Valley - Comox Valley Search and Rescue | Be Prepared

Squamish - Squamish Search and Rescue

North Shore - Home - North Shore Rescue

Pemberton - Pemberton District Search and Rescue | Pemberton BC Canada

Sunshine Coast - Sunshine Coast Search and Rescue | Sunshine Coast Search and Rescue

Nanaimo - Nanaimo Search and Rescue | Serving the Regional District of Nanaimo

Whistler - Whistler Search & Rescue Society

Coquitlam - https://www.coquitlam-sar.bc.ca

Lions Bay - http://www.lbsar.com

As we sit down this weekend surrounded by friends and family in our respective social bubbles and we reflect on what we are most thankful for, please keep the efforts of those mentioned above in your thoughts. I encourage us all to be grateful, to be kind, and to never take for granted the time we have together.

Dameon

BAMF+
When I lived in Arizona, they always said if your car breaks down, stay with it.
I read a story in Readers Digest about an Asian family that was following their GPS on a snowy night in the mountains. They took a road that was later determined to be a US Forestry road that should have been locked with a gate. The road got smaller and smaller and they ended up getting stuck in a snow bank. The husband decided to make a go for it while the wife and kids stayed in the vehicle, running to keep warm. The vehicle eventually died and they removed the tires and burned them, but no one came. Eventually they were located (barely alive), but the husband was found dead from hypothermia several miles away in the woods. I'm not sure why he didn't just follow the road backwards. He was naked when they found him and attributed it to a mental condition that occurs when your body starts undergoing hypothermia. Weird story.

Good luck to your friend.

sailUSVI

Tripping on the road and buying stuff
they were lost on Bear Camp Road, east of the town of Gold Beach, Oregon.... in Snail’s backyard. I’ve driven that road many times, cool road, in the summer.

I read a story in Readers Digest about an Asian family that was following their GPS on a snowy night in the mountains. They took a road that was later determined to be a US Forestry road that should have been locked with a gate. The road got smaller and smaller and they ended up getting stuck in a snow bank. The husband decided to make a go for it while the wife and kids stayed in the vehicle, running to keep warm. The vehicle eventually died and they removed the tires and burned them, but no one came. Eventually they were located (barely alive), but the husband was found dead from hypothermia several miles away in the woods. I'm not sure why he didn't just follow the road backwards. He was naked when they found him and attributed it to a mental condition that occurs when your body starts undergoing hypothermia. Weird story.

Good luck to your friend.

tinhead

Has never named a pet
Just about everybody would say Bear Camp Road goes through wilderness.
Driving back to Medford after Snail's, the search teams, copters, and planes were looking for somebody.
Compared to north of f-a's red line, it's suburbia.

wormser77

BAMF
Just about everybody would say Bear Camp Road goes through wilderness.
Driving back to Medford after Snail's, the search teams, copters, and planes were looking for somebody.
Compared to north of f-a's red line, it's suburbia.
That's the populated part of B.C. Get into the interior or Eastern B.C. that shit's remote.

Stites

That's Mister Black Flag To You
they were lost on Bear Camp Road, east of the town of Gold Beach, Oregon.... in Snail’s backyard. I’ve driven that road many times, cool road, in the summer.
We drove over Bear Camp with Rhino and Vegas12 in 2015/2016 in October. Very cool and scenic route, definitely a tight road up top and was difficult with a 18 for trailer. I could totally see how it would go to shit in the winter

Rocco

BAM
Dameon said:
I'm not sure why he didn't just follow the road backwards.

That's the correct rule when lost in the boondocks. Backtracking is the only map you have. People think it's a waste to go back and press on thinking they will eventually come out somewhere. Backtracking is not a waste, it's a way out.
-

Dameon

BAMF+
That's the correct rule when lost in the boondocks. Backtracking is the only map you have. People think it's a waste to go back and press on thinking they will eventually come out somewhere. Backtracking is not a waste, it's a way out.
I consider backtracking a "known". I tend to stick to what I know.

Case in point, I beat a hasty retreat from Omaha in the middle of winter, in the middle of the night, in 1993. I loaded up my "trusty" 4x4 and hit the Interstate heading South. Somewhere between Omaha and Kansas City, my trusty steed decided to overheat. Amazing considering it was 2' of snow on the Interstate, about 20* outside and quite blustery. In that stretch of road, the exits only come every 10-15 miles or more. And those exits usually go into one horse towns with little more than a Bates Motel and a gas station. Well, I hadn't seen any other idiots out on the road that night, not a car, a truck or even any 18 wheelers... in either direction. Well, I knew I passed an exit about 10 miles back, but I didn't know how far it was to the next one. Guess which direction I walked.

There's a lot more to the story, but that's enough to make the point.

hagrid

Human sized Loofah Pouf
I'm guessing snow/ice blocked airflow through radiator
The F350 I drove as a teenager had weak coolant. It was strong enough to prevent the block from icing up overnight but not with single digit air moving through the radiator. Rad plugged up internally with slush and the engine started to overheat.

Dameon

BAMF+
The F350 I drove as a teenager had weak coolant. It was strong enough to prevent the block from icing up overnight but not with single digit air moving through the radiator. Rad plugged up internally with slush and the engine started to overheat.
This is what I suspected. I think I had long removed the thermostat. The heater core was bypassed anyway. Likely I had the wrong mixture of water/glycol. I didn't have a tester back in those days and usually just guessed. It was a 70's Scout II. Rusted out to hell. It was my winter car in NE. When I eventually got it to my destination (on a trailer), I swapped the engine. I think it had a stock 304? when I bought it. I dropped a 340? from the larger Scout in it. I don't remember what happened to that thing. I must have sold it or traded for something. It was a pretty forgettable vehicle, although I did have a lot of fun in it. It got more action than a casting couch. Vinyl seats. Easy to clean.

Vegas12

BAMF+
This is what I suspected. I think I had long removed the thermostat. The heater core was bypassed anyway. Likely I had the wrong mixture of water/glycol. I didn't have a tester back in those days and usually just guessed. It was a 70's Scout II. Rusted out to hell. It was my winter car in NE. When I eventually got it to my destination (on a trailer), I swapped the engine. I think it had a stock 304? when I bought it. I dropped a 340? from the larger Scout in it. I don't remember what happened to that thing. I must have sold it or traded for something. It was a pretty forgettable vehicle, although I did have a lot of fun in it. It got more action than a casting couch. Vinyl seats. Easy to clean.

345" is the next size up International...

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
Top Bottom