a friend has disappeared..

BigGar

high on placebo
Any backstory f_a? Simply vanished? History of depression? Divorce? Suicide attempts? Mental illiness? Personal issues? Enemies? Gambling debts? Dodgy friends (other than you)? Pills? Heroin? Cocaine? Spare wimminfolk that he wasn't supposed to be commiseratin' with?

OP
fish_antlers
Website
www.bikeland.org
GIANT search ares. Real forest. Have a helicopter company involved. Have local shooters involved he is missing where people hit backcountry to shoot. 4x4 people on it. Not holding out much hope here. Cant tell if it's foul play or if he got washed away down a river. A real proper mystery. Have known him for 30 years. Just gone suddenly.

tinhead

Has never named a pet
A next door neighbor died a few days ago. He had the "health problems" common among 44 year old men who still live with their parents. Met his three brothers, they are as hard to shake off a conversation as the father is. Add in that the father is a chain smoker, the house and cars smell like ashtrays, he can't speak a whole sentence without coughing.

Here's hoping your friend shows up intact.:up:

BigGar

high on placebo
Hope your friend is found f_a. Didn't mean for my questions to be insensitive, just needed more to go on than "he's gone", but I guess that seems to be the case.

Wretch

amazingly graceful
The lake seems a likely place to find him...

...unless he just went out for smokes and decided to keep going.

Hope it all turns out to be something minor and they find him in good shape.

OP
fish_antlers
Website
www.bikeland.org
No worries. It doesnt make much sense what is going on. People generally dont drive off into the middle of nowhere and disappear.

I'm sure someone can thread dig but a few years ago I posted how Canada is vast with basically nothing North of Vancouver... if you look on Google Earth you can see the forest start and civilization end.

He's disappeared in that. Either foul play or he's in a river or down a gully.

All bad.

OP
fish_antlers
Website
www.bikeland.org
Going out for smokes and not coming back could be an option but he's not only got a wife and 2 small kids, but is in charge of a lot of shit at his work so he is a key player. Usually your Colonels and Generals don't fuck off and disappear. He's seen it through way harder times than this so I can't see him folding for no reason.

sailUSVI

Tripping on the road and buying stuff
Sometimes we don’t know whats going on in a friends life, especially if they choose for us not to know...suicide?

Team222

BAMF
So many possibilities, hopefully the cops can whittle it down to something that leads to his whereabouts!

CZLoco

artist formerly known as quad destroyer and...
Adonf's friend went missing while on a motorcycle ride last year.
They found his Motorcycle parked next to a lake.
Then several days later they found the body in the lake (fully geared up).
No idea how it happened. :(

I hope your friend is just off doing some blow and hookers in a ratty motel room.

Last edited:

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
They are holding their cards tight. Mounties usually do.. after 72 hours its a recovery. No car found so this works in favor of a self wanted disappearance unless the car went into a water source or off into a heavy wooded area. You would be surprised how trees swallow up things. Once the leaves drop P.O.D. goes up on ground searches. As Temps fall likely hood of non sheltered survival fades fast. Need a lot more info to limit the search area. A last seen point, or last know point would be a good start.

Here's to hopping a live recovery is still possible.

OP
fish_antlers
Website
www.bikeland.org
Have raised $$ for helicopter search. Apparently SAR wont deploy until vehicle is found so funds raised to find vehicle.

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
A car drove into a retention pond in a neighborhood full of people near The JunkYard. The retention pond was in the middle of the development, Houses backed up to it all around the pond. A few years ago, a guy got a Drone and was flying it over the pond, saw something big and called the cops. It was a car with a dead guy in it, they estimated it had been in the pond for a couple years.
So...

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
Have raised $$ for helicopter search. Apparently SAR wont deploy until vehicle is found so funds raised to find vehicle.

Not in even volly teams will take it without an LKP. And those guys are gung ho with no fees. Can't search the entire country with out some sort of direction or point to start in..

OP
fish_antlers
Website
www.bikeland.org
They have a point to start in. Basically search grid is 5 miles withing last cell tower ping, and then driveable distance on logging roads around the 5 mile circumference that are passable by his vehicle. Roads get pretty impassable unless you are in a proper 4x4 after about 10 - 15 miles around that last ping. Trying to involve local 4x4 community to establish list of backroads so the helicopter knows where to look.

Basically it is relatively tight provided he had some sort of negative outcome around the cell going dark.

Other option is he crushed his phone and drove off on a normal road but he would have to change his appearance and be cash only, avoid license plate recognition etc etc..

Most likely in an area bounded in a 75 x 75 mile square is my guess.

Rocco

BAM
on logging roads around the 5 mile circumference that are passable by his vehicle. Roads get pretty impassable unless you are in a proper 4x4 after about 10 - 15 miles

In my part of the country, there have been people marooned for 3 to 5 days after breaking down in the back country where nobody ever travels. I recall one woman with 2 kids that got lost and ran out of gas. It was 5 days before someone found them and then only by chance. Nobody had reported them missing. Cell phones don't work in every location and perfect storms of everything going wrong will form, when the unexpected happens. Best of luck with this.

Last edited:

nomad

BAMF
last record of cell ping is Alice Lake. Then nothing. That was on the 24th.
Isnt there a way to create a mobile "tower" and drive around w it?

Fyi phone went off the grid suddered a critical failure,
Even my lack of spelling skills cant be sure about this statement... how would any tower know how a phone went offline?

It seems to me his personal tracking device would be the best option to track him if at a ll possible

Last edited:

Rocco

BAM
Phone is hard offline according to forensics.

Phone is either at the bottom of a lake or crushed. It's hard off.

Wouldn't a dead battery act the same? How would you ping an app on a phone with a dead or even near dead battery, if the phone is in a remote signal location?
-

Last edited:
Top Bottom