6160.com

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
I'm not passing judgment until the labusas resident scientist chimes in
Where's the little fella been?

We built a fuel tank out of aluminum for my Lawn Boi push mower. It was styled after a one of those little Moon dragster fuel tanks. Of course it is nowhere as nice, but got the job done.

Your Car Is Slow

HOLYBAMF
I looked up my local community college class schedule a few years back...TONS of classes on welding. it was super easy to register and pay for the single classes.

just the amount of materials in bar stock and welding rod/wire I used during those 6 weeks of classes were far more than I paid for the class itself (think it was a few hundred bucks at most). learned to stick, mig, acy torch cutting and plasma cutting all in the same class. (sadly no TIG, but they offered it...it just had prerequisites)

would absolutely recommend it to anyone interested...I cant imagine Jacksonville is unique in offering intro to welding classes like that!

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
I welded a bunch of aluminum stuff years ago. I cheated and used my spool gun. That thing can lay down some phat beads. Sitting here looking at the thing, I should fire it up again someday.

A23

BAMF+
I got a good friend that welds space rocket shit.

I let him handle my welding needs.

I'm shallow like that.

chuck356

BAMF
It takes a few years of practice to lay down beads like that, school will provide the basic knowledge, but hours and hours of practice are needed to get to that level. And, appearance is not the whole deal, laying the parts out in proper alignment, and getting good penetration are more important than just a pretty weld.

OP
maui

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
It takes a few years of practice to lay down beads like that, school will provide the basic knowledge, but hours and hours of practice are needed to get to that level. And, appearance is not the whole deal, laying the parts out in proper alignment, and getting good penetration are more important than just a pretty weld.
was talking to LE0 Steve this afternoon, mentioned that most people probably look just at the welding he does, missing the lay out work, templates, and sheer speed at which he does stuff (yes it's a 10x speed video). The amount of experience to build shit like that quickly, and do a really good job, not really something they can teach in a school setting. Thats a decade or better of working in a shop with pros usually

Your Car Is Slow

HOLYBAMF
oh yea...I for damn sure use a grinder to make all my welds look pretty in the end since I dont have the skill to make them look like a stack of dimes!

flap disc makes it look like it wasnt even welded in the first place though!

BigGar

high on placebo
A friend that I went to HS with was a natural. When we were seniors we went to a vocational tech school in the mornings. I went to auto mechanics and he took up welding. Within a few months he was better than his instructors. He had a knack for it like no other. Ended up making a nice career out of it.

Hapo

Dog Boy
...I knew a guy who welded like that named Rick Shaw...he learned in the navy...

...Fisher fired him because he missed too many days at work...

...this was HR horse shit...it is not like he missed every Monday like the manager's nephew...or got sent home for being too fuked up on drugs at work like the manager's nephew...(they must have waived the drug test for him)...

... Rick Shaw went over some arbitrary annual limit by one day...he was the best welder in the shop...his welds were better than the robot's...

…he was also a single dad who had a daughter by some stripper who ran off...

…she was his first priority which was why he missed work some times, not binging...

…some one we know once mistook Rick for a hot blond female when he was picking up his daughter at work so you can just imagine what a hottie she is...LoL…

…even better she plays roller ball...the Rockland Rollers...Lol...

Last edited:
Top Bottom