60' surf warning

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
So in all fairness I know a lot of the country is under severe weather warnings. We just got 60' surf warning which usually results in people surfing. A VERY small group anyway. It does kick the shit out of the coast, you don't want to be standing on the beach watching unless you're planning to leave the island....or planet.

I just walked out to my back yard, I'm 5 miles away and 2000' elevation and I can see the waves breaking left and right so, it's pretty big.

CZLoco

artist formerly known as quad destroyer and...
I read about that earlier.
Heavy winds too, apparently.
Do they still go out on the big waves when it gets extra choppy/windy?

OP
OP
maui

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
depends on the direction of the wind. It's pretty hard though to blow out a 60' wave

Wretch

amazingly graceful
I hope the chains hold, it'll cost a fortune to have The Navy find and tow it back in place.

Keep your life vest handy in case there is a capsize or something.

TurboBlew

BAMF+
Website
www.youfuckmyleftovers.com
So in all fairness I know a lot of the country is under severe weather warnings. We just got 60' surf warning which usually results in people surfing. A VERY small group anyway. It does kick the shit out of the coast, you don't want to be standing on the beach watching unless you're planning to leave the island....or planet.
I just walked out to my back yard, I'm 5 miles away and 2000' elevation and I can see the waves breaking left and right so, it's pretty big.
what size dictates a tsunami? Whats the formula for figuring out the amount of water & force? :D

rg500

BAMF
a cubic meter of water weighs 2200 lbs....look at the wave and tryto guesstimate..

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
That is awsome shit.. not many can understand the force of the ocean.. I remember in one hurricane getting in a bit of trouble ... but the sea spit me out.. I got lucky. I won't forget the lesson.

Drakhen

BAMF
what size dictates a tsunami? Whats the formula for figuring out the amount of water & force? :D
A tsunami is a totally different sort of thing. Tsunami's are caused by seismic events or large rockfalls/landslides that result in the physical displacement of large amounts of water.

Drakhen

BAMF
Tsunamis come in various sizes. Most are no more than 10 feet high. The largest recorded was 1720 feet tall, in Lituya Bay Alaska, caused by 90 million tons of rock falling into the bay.

"Normal tsunamis generated at sea result from movement of the sea floor. They have a small wave height offshore, are very long (often hundreds of kilometres), and generally pass unnoticed at sea, forming only a slight swell usually of the order of 30 cm (12 in) above the normal sea surface. When they reach land, the wave height increases dramatically as the base of the wave pushes the water column above it upwards.

By contrast, megatsunamis are caused by giant landslides and other impact events. This could also refer to a meteorite hitting an ocean. Underwater earthquakes or volcanic eruptions do not normally generate such large tsunamis, but landslides next to bodies of water resulting from earthquakes can, since they cause a large amount of displacement. If the landslide or impact occurs in a limited body of water, as happened at the Vajont Dam (1963) and Lituya Bay (1958) then the water may be unable to disperse and one or more exceedingly large waves may result.

A way to visualize the difference, is that an ordinary tsunami is caused by sea floor changes, somewhat like pushing up on the floor of a large tub of water to the point it overflows, and causing a surge of water to "run off" at the sides. In this analogy, a megatsunami would be more similar to dropping a large rock from a considerable height into the tub, at one end, causing water to splash up and out, and overflow at the other end.

Two heights are sometimes quoted for megatsunamis – the height of the wave itself (in water), and the height to which it surges when it reaches land, which depending upon the locale, can be several times larger."

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
Many tsunami are actually measured in centimeters- any seismically-generated wave counts as one, no matter how small it might be. We used to get the readings all the time when I lived in Tokyo as earthquakes were happening pretty regularly.

sailUSVI

Tripping on the road and buying stuff
Man, I love weather, I know it can be damaging but I still dig it...

All the best to you Maui

sailUSVI

Tripping on the road and buying stuff
Since I’m down here working on the Mākena shores we will miss some of the fun, but still may cruise up and watch some North Shore action.
You better be coming to the gathering man, don’t make me come over there and beat you into submission, thus agreeing to make it :smashtard:

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
I remember how good it felt to be in front of a nice warm fire on a cold miserable day. We have a fireplace in the house, but have't used it in years because it doesn't get cold anymore. Any wood pile I'd have would be full of termites, spiders, scorpions and snakes.

By the way, looks like an exhaust spring tool hanging on the top right corner of the stove. I use those thing all the tyme for stuff.

Snail

BAMF. No. Really. As BAMF as they get.
There's no better heat than wood heat. Keeps stuff dry and mold free.

I spend more time in my shop than I do in the house.

That tool is for opening the stove damper.

OP
OP
maui

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
Raining pretty hard still, it snowed down to the 6200’ level according to the news. Phone lines are still out.

There was a sharknado so I couldn’t get pictures cause I was outside with my samurai light saber deflecting laser blasts from the sharks

OP
OP
maui

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
And one person went too close to the ocean yesterday and it took him

Wretch

amazingly graceful
And one person went too close to the ocean yesterday and it took him
...took him where?
Out to dinner?
These stories without the gory details are titillating.

Is there a tree you could lash yourself to if in case the climate change comes to get you?

OP
OP
maui

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
People don’t listen then the fire department risks their lives on body recovery.

Right now its chainsaws and wood chippers dominating the day.

Clouds broke for a little and I caught a glimpse of the top of the mountain covered in snow. Then they came right back.

Wretch

amazingly graceful
Yeah, people sure do have the propensity to fuck up even when common sense is screaming at them from all three sides.

It would be awesome to see the raging storming sea...
...from a distance.

Top Bottom