300 blackout

whitepower

Color Belt Judo Guy
Who s been shooting it lately?
Any deals to be had on ammo for this caliber?

Also curious if anyone has any energy data on the shorter barrel versions of this caliber. Velocities and energy levels in a 5 inch barrel is what I would want to see. Ive read velocities could be in the 1600-1700 fps range out of such a short barrel, but can t seem to find data on the energy levels at those speeds

Ed

I'd think the blast would be ugly out of such a short tube- but as an upside, at least your attacker would be blind and deaf if you missed him.

OP
OP

whitepower

Color Belt Judo Guy
Blast is huge with any caliber out of such a short barrel, even with a 556.
Just that the 556 is not a reliable stopper at under 2500 fps. out of a 5 inch barrel.

The 300 blk might be

Blast is huge with any caliber out of such a short barrel, even with a 556.
Just that the 556 is not a reliable stopper at under 2500 fps. out of a 5 inch barrel.

The 300 blk might be
The FN 57 does pretty well as a stopper with a <5" barrel

OP
OP

whitepower

Color Belt Judo Guy
Well once you have a 556 or 300 blk, thr only thing needed for the swap between the two calibers, is the barrel.

The 2 calibers share the receiver and magazines, just a barrel is needed to swap back and forth.

I see the 300 blk has similar ballistics as the 7.62x39 and them short barrel Krinks (suchkas) were effective, not sure how they compared in effectiveness with the newer Krinks, in the 554 variant.
Either way i think the 300 blk might have a more efficient fatality rate than the 556, in a 5 inch barrel, i was just curious to see some actual ft. lbs energy numbers.

Ed

If the choice was between 5.56 and .30 in the same platform, I'd take the .30 any day of the week unless I was dusting crows with it.

No knowledge of a short tube gun ballistics with these cartridges. Have them both in longer tubes. If you were an experienced hand loader it would give you more opportunity to match bullet weights, powder burning rates and pressure curves for the short tube. You would be surprised at the ballistic performance you might be able to attain. Could be some but I doubt anyone commercially loading for this short of a tube. Just no market for it.

In short it would require a faster burning powder.

Out of WHAT LENGTH TUBE? Very important. Hornaday, Sierra, Barnes etc. do not go to the expense of developing optimized data for a short tube. It is about the powder burning rate and the associated pressure curve. As you an see the barrel length changes and the associated velocity changes are not linear.

Last edited:
We are shooting 8.5" and 10.5" and 16" in the blackout, shooting 7.5" and 16" in the 5.56,

mainly the 8.5 with subs and AAC silencer. This link to the Hornady work on their ammo to
get the FBI certification's for their short barrel ammo.

First Look: Hornady 300 Blackout Subsonic Ammunition

300 Blackout 190 gr Sub-X® Subsonic - Hornady Manufacturing, Inc

Here is some good data on the 5.56.

SBR Ammo Buyer's Guide | RECOIL

Here is some good data on the 5.56 vs the 300 Blackout

5.56 NATO vs. 300 Blackout Ballistics - The Truth About Guns

Here is also a big data dump on Self Defense ammo and ballistics.

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

Hope this helps.

OP
OP

whitepower

Color Belt Judo Guy
I found plenty data on velocity, which most of these links show.
Saw data on 20 inch down to 6 inch, same gun, they cut the barrel 1 inch at a time, crown and test it.

I have the data i need in fps, for a 5/6 inch tube, what i can t find is how that translates to energy ft lbs. I have found vague data but from 10 and 12 inch barrels nothing shorter.

I've got a report I'm trying to find where Hornady was working for the cert for the
FBI and what they came up with, can't find it right now but it had some good data.

my favorite rifle (ok pistol) is my 8.5 supressed 300bo

its so quiet you can shoot it at an indoor range without ear protection just fine, if it werent for the stupidly high costs of ammo (relatively speaking, its 2x or more higher than .223) id shoot it way more.

to answer your question, im almost positive 300bo was specifically designed for an 8.5 barrel.

if you want something hotter/faster...thats what 308 is for.

gsteve

BAMF+
I found plenty data on velocity, which most of these links show.
Saw data on 20 inch down to 6 inch, same gun, they cut the barrel 1 inch at a time, crown and test it.

I have the data i need in fps, for a 5/6 inch tube, what i can t find is how that translates to energy ft lbs. I have found vague data but from 10 and 12 inch barrels nothing shorter.
I know nothing about it. But if you have the vel and the bullet weight you could find a comparable pistol load to check energy against

There’s a lot of variance with the lightest SuperSonics like 110gr black hills or Barnes or even corbon but I think you’ll still see north of 2000fps out of a sig rattler 5 incher with the lightest pills

OP
OP

whitepower

Color Belt Judo Guy
Hard to believe a 300 blk would lose 600 lb ft and 550 fps shot out of a 5/6" barrel

Seriously doubt it, they use pistol powders so the burn rate is way faster than 556

My God Stonedwhite you need to understand how all of this works. Know you are not the sharpest tool in the shed and do not like to understand the relationship as I pointed out to you above with powder burning rates, pressure curves, bullet weights and even specific bullets of the same weight because they have different bearing surface areas. Tried to help but you above but you just keep waddling around in the mud like an idiot muttering to yourself.

In short, for my little Stoned, Green Carded Buddy, now read this slowly so you can understand. High pressure rifle cartridge ammunition even with the faster burning propellants must be SPECIFICALLY LOADED for the length of barrel YOU are trying to use. It is not going to give satisfactory performance (high pressure) in a 20 or 16 inch rifle tube as a 5 or 6 inch tube. What part of this and I know you have not been a hand loader all of your life but jeeezzzz this is basic 101 freshman stuff can you cannot seem to get a handle on.

GOING TO HAVE TO FIND SOMEONE WHO SELLS LOADINGS FOR YOUR SPECIFIC TUBE LENGTH AND BULLET WEIGHT YOU WANT TO USE! Otherwise you are peeing in the wind.

LIKE THE SIG AMMO ABOVE.

Last edited:
OP
OP

whitepower

Color Belt Judo Guy
Omega posted the link with the specific made ammo and since Sig offers a v short barrel weapon it makes sense that they would offer specific ammo for it.

So you could ve saved your lecture for another time.

OP
OP

whitepower

Color Belt Judo Guy
I'm gonna try some of JJ s ammo anyway.
Maybe he ought'a talk to Ammo Inc and make us some SPECIFIC short barrel 300 blk pills

Screenshot_20191006-153716.jpg

im pretty sure all 300bo box ammo is designed to fire out of a shorter barrel....

Im not aware of anyone who shoots 300bo out of a regular length barrel anyway...whats the point of that vs 308?

WP, with the right can you don’t have to go down to such a short barrel, 5 inches long direct thread.

Last edited:
OP
OP

whitepower

Color Belt Judo Guy
...but he has more $$$ than you do...!!!...he should just give you the ammo...!!!...
That s just it.
He s such a spoiled brat that he thinks i can just spin up some bullets in my basement, a little quick burning powder a couple dis couple two chree dat...

He left out the single most important aspect which is, i don t fucking load. So i gotta find a round that works.

And now it seems there is at least one that does.

Omega posted the link with the specific made ammo and since Sig offers a v short barrel weapon it makes sense that they would offer specific ammo for it.

So you could ve saved your lecture for another time.
You poor man you still STILL do not get it. My God you are really are someone who is never going to be anything but a 2nd rate trigger puller who butchers firearms because they "look cool" to you, when in fact, what you are doing not only destroys the value of them but decreases performance. Do you really think a compensator and or porting the way you envision by what looks cool or what you mimic from something you saw on a different firearm is the way base your decision to cut metal.

The Sig ammo is one source---what if it shoots like crap in your firearm? Do not know if you are able to fire accurately from a bench or not so I guess as long as you read something on-line it is all good. Must really be tough not knowing how to access or use information about shooting, how firearms work (the technical stuff) and more important than you have any idea the way the ammunition they fire bears on accuracy, the Muzzle Energy they create when fired HELL had no idea how to do that calculation (by your own admission you don't have time to sit in the basement loading bullets).

im pretty sure all 300bo box ammo is designed to fire out of a shorter barrel....

Im not aware of anyone who shoots 300bo out of a regular length barrel anyway...whats the point of that vs 308?
My God Another One who is clueless about the subject. SMH------308 vs 300 BO. Takes a different (larger) firearm to fire a 308 in or my favorite in the LE 901 the 6.5 Creedmoor.

The 300 BO is roughly the same performance as the 7.62x39 in performance at least from what the USG wanted initially...

OP
OP

whitepower

Color Belt Judo Guy
You poor man you still STILL do not get it. My God you are really are someone who is never going to be anything but a 2nd rate trigger puller who butchers firearms because they "look cool" to you, when in fact, what you are doing not only destroys the value of them but decreases performance. Do you really think a compensator and or porting the way you envision by what looks cool or what you mimic from something you saw on a different firearm is the way base your decision to cut metal.

The Sig ammo is one source---what if it shoots like crap in your firearm? Do not know if you are able to fire accurately from a bench or not so I guess as long as you read something on-line it is all good. Must really be tough not knowing how to access or use information about shooting, how firearms work (the technical stuff) and more important than you have any idea the way the ammunition they fire bears on accuracy, the Muzzle Energy they create when fired HELL had no idea how to do that calculation (by your own admission you don't have time to sit in the basement loading bullets).

So what do you suggest

So what do you suggest
Things I have imparted to you about this and other firearms subjects go in one ear and out the other. Go back and read again what I have already suggested. We have a member here in Canada that has in fact forgotten more about shooting semi automatic pistols Fast and Accurately than you or I will ever know period end of story. Maybe he can help you.

OP
OP

whitepower

Color Belt Judo Guy
Things I have imparted to you about this and other firearms subjects go in one ear and out the other. Go back and read again what I have already suggested. We have a member here in Canada that has in fact forgotten more about shooting semi automatic pistols Fast and Accurately than you or I will ever know period end of story. Maybe he can help you.

So you have imparted that you can have a shitty portjob on your Ruger but if i get something ported im a second rate trigger puller.
Maybe you can load your own. I don t give a fuck about loading.
I ve had short Krinks with and without cans, in both 545 and 762 calibers and guess what, i shot wolf or tula or whatever was available and nothing happened to the gun nor can. Ill just try whatever i can find and settle on one round that works best.
I would need a second basement if i started loading cause this basement is all mancaved out since i gotta live in it.

Someone s lungs laying on the sidewalk won t know if it was one of Dave's special loads or Wolf's bulk special that did it.

And don t you worry about the resale value or condition of my guns however i happen to molest them is my business. One quick foreskin rub and for sale she goes.

So you have imparted that you can have a shitty portjob on your Ruger but if i get something ported im a second rate trigger puller.
Maybe you can load your own. I don t give a fuck about loading.
I ve had short Krinks with and without cans, in both 545 and 762 calibers and guess what, i shot wolf or tula or whatever was available and nothing happened to the gun nor can. Ill just try whatever i can find and settle on one round that works best.
I would need a second basement if i started loading cause this basement is all mancaved out since i gotta live in it.

Someone s lungs laying on the sidewalk won t know if it was one of Dave's special loads or Wolf's bulk special that did it.

And don t you worry about the resale value or condition of my guns however i happen to molest them is my business. One quick foreskin rub and for sale she goes.
Yes you put it very well. We are not on the same planet lol.... I will love watching you struggle along. Good Luck. Glad your Mommy and Daddy give you money or whoever does. Helping you with firearms is liking trying to help a moped rider who wants to learn how to handle the power of a Busa for example.

People who just like to watch the fire from the muzzle blast and go wow I cannot reach sorry...… Shooting is an art to me and it has been for almost 50 years. Accuracy is everything period.

bruh..they both fire the same bullet....just using different levels of powder and cartridge size.

if you dont think they make an ar platform that shoots 308....i agree that we arent even on the same planet in this discussion.

bruh..they both fire the same bullet....just using different levels of powder and cartridge size.

if you dont think they make an ar platform that shoots 308....i agree that we arent even on the same planet in this discussion.
Another rocket scientist Jeeeeezzzzzz. THEY ARE DIFFERENT ONE IS LARGER!!! Do the research then post and make yourself look stupid! Your apology is accepted. Are you a weed smoker as well?

Look up a Colt 6940 and a LE 901!! It is just that simple. Now by replacing the upper in the LE 901 with this kit to make the magazine of the 5.56 work, 20191006_182743[1].jpg a different recoil; spring kit from Colt THE LE 901 CAN FIRE A 5.56 Mil Spec Upper. So without further adieu here is a picture. Oh BTW Why are you participating here? :)

Last edited:
OP
OP

whitepower

Color Belt Judo Guy
Another rocket scientist Jeeeeezzzzzz. THEY ARE DIFFERENT ONE IS LARGER!!! Do the research then post and make yourself look stupid! Your apology is accepted. Are you a weed smoker as well?

Umm...

OP
OP

whitepower

Color Belt Judo Guy
Yes you put it very well. We are not on the same planet lol.... I will love watching you struggle along. Good Luck. Glad your Mommy and Daddy give you money or whoever does. Helping you with firearms is liking trying to help a moped rider who wants to learn how to handle the power of a Busa for example.

People who just like to watch the fire from the muzzle blast and go wow I cannot reach sorry...… Shooting is an art to me and it has been for almost 50 years. Accuracy is everything period.
Yeah well woopty fuckin do.
Happy you're an artist and you drool over wood patterns. I don t. Means zilch to me, not one nudge.
Go shoot your 1 mile gongs and add a couple more micrograins to your load cause it's shooting low.

IIll continue to hunt as i ve done with nothing but factory ammo, which has seemed to work ok for the past 20 yrs.
None of the dead animals asked what load i used to break their necks so...

Pass the fucking Grey Poupon.

You poor stoned idiot... See the above post and please pass the bong dude!!!
This is the latest of the 308 platform a limited run of a couple of hundred in 6.5 Creedmoor. Note the bases/mounts and glass. Stonedwhite will be panting but doubt he even knows what the f-ing mounts are lol...…
20181204_164220 (2).jpg

Last edited:
Yeah well woopty fuckin do.
Happy you're an artist and you drool over wood patterns. I don t. Means zilch to me, not one nudge.
Go shoot your 1 mile gongs and add a couple more micrograins to your load cause it's shooting low.

IIll continue to hunt as i ve done with nothing but factory ammo, which has seemed to work ok for the past 20 yrs.
None of the dead animals asked what load i used to break their necks so...

Pass the fucking Grey Poupon.
LOL hunt where in the basement? LMFAO...

I've seen better abortions.
What point were you trying to make?
You have made my point exactly. :) Thank You Sir. :) SPUHR mounts I suspect you would not have ever heard of much less used.

Read about it. The ISMS works flawlessly.

Last edited:
*facepalm

this might even be worse than the "primary gun maker/whatever" nonsense of the past.

ffs dude...I feel like you know exactly what everyone else is saying, but instead of simply agreeing you are trying to sound all superior and condescending for no other purpose than to fluff your own peacock feathers. but whatever man..you do you.

*facepalm

ffs dude...I feel like you know exactly what everyone else is saying, but instead of simply agreeing you are trying to sound all superior and condescending for no other purpose than to fluff your own peacock feathers. but whatever man..you do you.
Oh Please-----I have only slightly touched on some of the subjects at hand and "fluff your own peacock feathers. but whatever man..you do you." that one is just too funny. When I post something firearms related it is not just something regurgitated from something I read on another web site or in a rag. Ignorance is bliss as they say. :)

Top Bottom