2.1 Soundbars

rumble phish

BAMF+
Since we moved into my mother-in-law's house after her passing, I had to leave my built in 5.1 surround system (well, the front and rear left/right speakers I installed in the ceiling of our old place anyway). I had installed some really nice Dayton Audio 6.5" 2-ways in the ceiling, along with a Dayton Audio 2-way MtM (Mid-tweeter-Mid) center channel and a home built 10" 250 watt sub-woofer (also DA amp plate and sub), all running off of a 400 watt Pioneer 5.1 receiver/amp. I had it dialed in for the type of music I enjoy, as well as movies. I was really happy with it.

Well, I'm not about to start cutting holes in the ceiling of this house and I just wasn't in the mood to set everything back up. I needed something easy that sounded decent. While at Costco the other day my son and I started checking out some of the soundbar set ups. I was immediately interested int he Bose set ($799), but I was wholly underwhelmed by the sound. Next I looked at the Samsung 7.1 set up ($479), and again was unimpressed. I figured it was due to hearing them in a large warehouse environment. The next one I listened to was a Klipsch 2.1 set up ($219). I know Klipsch is known for exceptional speakers, but this set up was awful. No power what-so-ever, and with a muddy sound to boot. I thought "Well, a Klipsch for $219? Guess ya get what ya pay for!". On the way out I decided to check out the Yamaha 2.1 set up ($299, on sale for $239). I was thinking "For that price it won't be any better than the cheap Klipsch". Boy, was I wrong!!! This unit sounded GREAT! And in the warehouse no less! Based on how it sounded in there I decided to get it.

Fast forward to when I got it home. Set up took about 10 minutes. The sub-woofer is wireless (I didn't realize this until I unpacked it and started looking for where to plug it in at!). It has Alexa built in (didn't realize that either!), can be controlled by an app on a smart phone (another point I missed), connects via Bluetooth (that one I knew!), and can be connected directly to your home network (yep, had no idea).

And yes, it sounds better here at home than it did in the warehouse. It connects to your system via HDMI ARC (audio return channel) or directly to your TV via the optical output. It does virtual surround by DTS VX which, yes, isn't as good as true DTS or DD but Mission Impossible:Rouge Nation sounded great on it. The sub-woofer is smooth and powerful, but not overpowered like Bose or Klipsch). It has a "clear voice" feature, which my wife really likes. Presets for TV/Movie/Music/Game/Sports, bass boost, etc. Bottom line here is that I never thought I'd be happy with a soundbar set up, but this is a great system! Especially for listening to tunes.

If you're in the market for a sound system and you don't want to do the huge amp, multiple speakers thing definitely check this set up out.

Last edited:
OP
rumble phish

rumble phish

BAMF+
Glad You are happy! but

you lost me at Alexa... none of that smart tech in my house...
It's available to use with it. I won't be enabling it. I have a second gen Alexa smart speaker that was given to us by my step-daughter. It's in a box in a closet collecting dust.

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
It's available to use with it. I won't be enabling it. I have a second gen Alexa smart speaker that was given to us by my step-daughter. It's in a box in a closet collecting dust.
Just because you haven't turned it on doesn't mean Uncle Sams spies can't listen in.
I have a Bose Companion II set up for the TV, it's good enough, has decent bass.

Top Bottom