150 HP liquid cooled four valve per cyl. Harley DOHC engine with two spark plugs per cyl.

Texas Boy

BAM
Was in a HD dealer last week and ran into "Throttle girl"(look her up on Youtube", she is doing a long term test for HD on the Pan American. Her PA has had nothing but electronic issues. This was the the 6th breakdown over the last 4 weeks. Bike will die and not restart. So far based on her experience, I believe I will keep my GS.

OP
Master-Cylinder

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
Fucking Honda reversed the turnsignal/horn button location on newer models. For decades the horn button was at the bottom, now the horn button is in the middle, go to hit the turn signal and you honk the horn. Fucking idiots at Honda.

whipit1K

BAMF
Fucking Honda reversed the turnsignal/horn button location on newer models. For decades the horn button was at the bottom, now the horn button is in the middle, go to hit the turn signal and you honk the horn. Fucking idiots at Honda.
is that on a lot of newer Hondas? all of them? I have a 2013 CB500X that the little woman occasionally rides. It has horn/turn signals reversed. I cant stand it, constantly have people looking at me wondering why I am honking the horn

OP
Master-Cylinder

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
is that on a lot of newer Hondas? all of them? I have a 2013 CB500X that the little woman occasionally rides. It has horn/turn signals reversed. I cant stand it, constantly have people looking at me wondering why I am honking the horn
All of them, I don't know. It is on enough of them that it annoyed the shit out of me because I'd honk the horn too. It's like when you been going into a store for a decade and they decided to rearrange everything. Just leave it the fick alone.

Stetson

BAMF+
Picked mine up last Tuesday after work and ran to the dragon the next morning..

copy paste from the pan am board
So some Pan Am board gets your original content, but we get treated to Nomad style, copy/paste sloppy seconds? That is some bullshit!! :frown2::2guns::2guns:

Thanks for the report though, I'm pretty sure I want one of these. :up:

BarryW

BAM
Was in a HD dealer last week and ran into "Throttle girl"(look her up on Youtube", she is doing a long term test for HD on the Pan American. Her PA has had nothing but electronic issues. This was the the 6th breakdown over the last 4 weeks. Bike will die and not restart. So far based on her experience, I believe I will keep my GS.
Hopefully these are just first year teething pains that H-D can sort out quickly. I'd never consider a purchase until it demonstrates a reputation for both reliability and durability. Been stranded once too often by "modern technology", makes me miss older bikes that you could always get home on with just the tool pouch under the seat.

roadczar

they/them - LABusas Road Czar
Picked mine up last Tuesday after work and ran to the dragon the next morning..

copy paste from the pan am board

Thoughts and highlights ..

Picked up my bike from Walters Brothers HD in Peoria Illinois who did an amazing job getting me on the bike 👍👍 thanks a million to them !

Was very happy to find that my Moto Centric soft bag set and tank bag from the old ZX12r fit like a glove .. The homies showed up for new bike ceremonies and the whiskey and beer flowed late into the night ... Got a late start Wednesday morning as I had to pack and rig a Ram ball mount ...

All my modular helmets are rigged with hard wire coms for the Road Glide Ultra so I was struggling with what to wear , I throw on and old Shoei RF 1200 from my FJR and Connie days that I’d retired 5 years ago and hit the road , left West Central Illinois at 10 am ...

Ran 2 lane roads for the first 180 miles headed for St Louis trying to get a feel for the bike stopping at HD stores on the way looking for an oil filter with no luck , lots of folks loving on the bike and tire kicking at every stop..

At 6’ 2” i noticed my legs are a little cramped so I put the seat up high , remove the rubber from the foot pegs and throw on a Saddleman gel pad I’d bought in the Connie days for friends that couldn’t hang with an iron ass.. All the little tweaks paid off in spades instantly...

Stopped at the Ducati/Triumph/KTM store to shop for an ADV helmet , they had an Arai for $700 but no flip down smoked visor which was a deal breaker so I head out for the interstate East bound.. Side note , none of them seemed very interested in the Pan Am lol ..

Get on 64 East and set the cruise at 93 and roll turning 5400 RPM effortlessly, the bike handles the road flawlessly, everything is working perfect , the wind management is spot on with the screen up high and it makes power everywhere all the time ... 6th gear roll ons are amazing ...

Run non stop to South East Illinois and grab a bag of gas before I jump on 24 to Nashville , showed 37 mpg ... Had a state trooper that I’d blown by 5 miles back follow me in to the gas pump off the Interstate... He just wanted to check out the bike lol

Get on 24 for the 190 mile shot to Nashville and get passed by 3 C8 Corvettes rolling 100 and sprinting to 130 and change , had a blast and we made Nashville together non stop pretty quick ...

See a C17 freedom flight on short final as we pass Ft Campbell, I smile inside my helmet , welcome home Brothers 😎

Running low on fuel as we hit Nashville but I want to push through and gas on the east side , I find that the range estimator is as about as reliable as the one on my Road Glide as it stops counting down at around 15 miles ..
Gas up at 193 miles on the trip meter and showed 40 mpg even ...

Ran from Nashville to Knoxville non stop , gas up and showing 70 miles to Cherokee .. It’s dark and starting to rain , call my friend in Cherokee and he advises me to hole up in Gatlinburg for the night ... Grab a 6 pack of Blackhorse IPA and head in , Checked into a hotel at 1230 local and cool out ...

Note , the adaptive headlight is worth every penny 👍

Wake up in the morning to hard rain , called the HD dealer in Maryville and they have an oil filter .. Throw rain gear on and head out , had a great time at Smokey Mountain HD , the staff was awesome and they had parts on the shelf , bought a set of tank grip pads for $40 and the handy dandy PA tool kit for $150 ... Nobody knew what size the oil drain plug was but we figured the right size wrench would be in there , I was also concerned that the chain needed adjusted ...

They also had the Passage Adventure ADV helmet in stock ... It’s awesome 👍👍 I highly recommend them 😎

Ran out of Maryville on 129 headed for the Dragon in the rain , the bike is in rain mode and it’s working great ..

First few runs through the dragon are pretty awkward as I’m used to running through on sport bikes.. Learning to look through turns from the sitting up position , learning to to lean it and apply power and working on downshifting to call for power , which I haven’t had to do yet ... And the roads are wet ...
Rain mode kept me safe , breaking and rolling into the gas with confidence..
The engineers did good 👍

Run the 28 road to 19 , roll into Cherokee and check into my friends hotel The Rolling Hills lodge ( that’s where you stay if you ride a bike to Cherokee ) at 830 .. I hit auto zone on the way and grabbed an oil drain pan , funnel and shop towels ...

Crack a cold beer , wipe down the bike and swap the oil and filter ... Burned about a 1/4 to 1/2 quart on the way , showing 970 on the odometer.. The chain slack is spot on in limits , no adjustment required..

Wake up to clear blue skies and one of the best garden omelettes I’ve ever had made by my friend the inn keeper , we catch up over breakfast and part ways . I play on mountain roads all day ending up back at the dragon in the afternoon ... Really starting to get a feel for the bike and on dry roads in sport mode it’s fuckin awesome... One of the best bikes I’ve ever thrown around ... Stops , leans and goes like a dream , the Michelin’s stick like glue and I’m starting to make little rubber balls on the edges of the back tire 😎😎

Have an afternoon snack and the tail of the dragon resort and have fun chatting with all the tire kickers ... It gets lots of attention ...

Do my final run west through the dragon and stop for a picture at the overlook at 4:09 PM .. Point the bike North West and figure I’ll run till I run out of daylight , grab gas in Williamsburg KY and the place is a dump , didn’t even put the kickstand down .. Run out of daylight and gas after I cross the bridge in Louisville, gas up and stretch the legs a bit ... Showing 360 miles to the house at that point so I say screw it ...Drink some water , put on the clear glasses and roll...

Note , the switches are not back lit ... Become familiar with them in case you shut the cruise off that’s set at 93 because some dickhead refuses to clear out of the left lane while you are following at 70 ...
And you fumble for the flash to pass switch with leather gloves on and inadvertently hit the ‘Resume’ on your cruise with your head snapped back and your arms getting pulled away from you 😬😲

Note , the display is oriented pretty low and didn’t match up with my cockpit scan .. You literally have to take your eyes off the road and look down to check your instruments ... Upside is if I would’ve got pulled over I could honestly tell the officer I had no idea how fast I was going 😎👍

Note , set your instruments backlighting to ‘auto dim’ in the settings .. The default causes a glare at night ...

The next 2 bags of gas were uneventful, Full to empty non stop..

Being able to stand up and stretch your legs while you ride is a game changer...

Edit : another note - when you change the oil on the center stand you will need to raise the front end or put weight on the back to get all of the old oil out 👍👍

Pull into my garage at 1:30 AM..

Didn’t use a drop of oil coming home ..

Showing 1737 on the odometer..

This bike is awesome 👍👍

View attachment 67127View attachment 67128View attachment 67129View attachment 67130View attachment 67131View attachment 67132

View attachment 67133

View attachment 67134

View attachment 67135
Nice way to break-in a bike! Thinking of hitting the dragon myself next week. I will be using my lifestyle vehicle to get there if it happens.

pimpslayer

HOLYBAMF
for Jeremy, from ADV Rider:

"Michigan has one of the most extensive trail systems in the Country. The Department of Natural Resources (DNR) has maps and .gpx files for them available for download."

"In addition, we have a dealer that has embraced the Pan America with open arms. Perry Harley-Davidson in Kalamazoo (southwestern Michigan) is organizing weekend trail rides for those with PAs and those that are thinking about one. They have NOT sold their demos and do not plan to do so. There are some YouTube videos available already from them for their trail rides. Also they announce their upcoming rides on their Facebook group. So far the trails they have visited are NOT on the DNR list above so there are more out there than just the State trails."

jhinderliter

BAMF+
ive had several GS guys feel the need to explain to me ‘ why they are keeping their GS ‘ over the past week ...

Like I give a shit 😐

2100 miles on in 9 days with no issues 👍

Last edited:

jhinderliter

BAMF+
So some Pan Am board gets your original content, but we get treated to Nomad style, copy/paste sloppy seconds? That is some bullshit!! :frown2::2guns::2guns:

Thanks for the report though, I'm pretty sure I want one of these. :up:
its like I said in the Ulysses thread my friend ..

can anyone recommend a motorcycle forum full of people who ride and talk about motorcycles ?

Go get a demo ride 👍

Top Bottom