150 HP liquid cooled four valve per cyl. Harley DOHC engine with two spark plugs per cyl.

DUCHUNTER

It's pronounced "HogHunter"
The Pan America does not interest me at all, but that is a very nice write up about the motor. So nice in fact that the Pan America may get a test ride.

Marketing strategy complete.

BigGar

high on placebo
Coolant passages built into "complex stator cover" is a little bit concerning to me. Maybe this particular stator cover is better protected than the bikes I've ridden (and tipped over).

Did the paperwork yesterday , it arrives today ...

Orange special with laced wheels and ARH ...

wife and I are heading out on the Ultra for the weekend , gonna tour the Ohio River valley ...

planning to pick up on Tuesday , if all goes well I’ll do the break in oil change in Ramas parking lot 😎
Ride safe and have fun, like to see the report back about the motorcycle review.

roadczar

they/them - LABusas Road Czar

wife and I are heading out on the Ultra for the weekend , gonna tour the Ohio River valley ...

planning to pick up on Tuesday , if all goes well I’ll do the break in oil change in Ramas parking lot 😎
Congrats!

Rhino

K-9 BAMF

I'll be down that way June 7/8

pimpslayer

HOLYBAMF
Since this thread is trending again, I'll post what a guy I know said after riding it on a long test ride. He rides a 1200 Multistrada with his wife on the back, but when riding solo usually takes his V4 Tuono or Thruxton or 1198 Streetfighter. He's a fast street rider, don't know about track days. He's ridden everything new out of Europe in the last 10 years...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(disclaimer - I cut out all the photos he took of the bike, you can find all you want of those on Google Images)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"First let me say that my experience at this Harley Davidson dealership was exceptional. Every single person there was friendly and welcoming and the entire atmosphere was open and inviting. In fact the local Honda and Ducati dealers could learn something from these guys, I was treated like a friend and I really enjoyed the whole experience. I think these guys truly liked that the bike was bringing in new, non-HD people. If this is today's HD, I like it.

On to the bike. I know its been said before but yes, the bike does look better in person than it does in pictures. The first thing I noticed was a definite feeling of quality materials and exceptional finishes. It is glaringly evident Harley has gone to trouble to engineer the bike to present well; the engine is beautiful and it looks like an engine - not a lump of industrial equipment (ducati multi) and all of the hoses and wires are well hidden on the right side where you see the bike most often while leaning on the side stand. The bike I rode was the upscale model called the "special" and has the optional spoke wheels and enduro type tires. The suspension, brakes, wheels, frame are all very much on par with the best from Europe.

I have to say I was quite impressed with the bike from the very start. Even though I don't love the square headlight nacelle I'm not a fan of the weird beaks on most ADV bikes either so I found the design no more offensive than any other bike in the segment.

Inside the shop the bike looked to be significantly bigger than My 2011 Multistrada but once we got it outside they looked to be really close in size and felt similar in weight. I can tell you this - it felt at least 100 pounds lighter than the V4 MTS. (I don't know what the actual difference is but to me its the perception or feeling that matters). Eerily the Pan Am sounds nearly identical to my Multistrada with the same tone, cadence, and whine while idling and accelerating.

I'm going to admit right now that I didn't explore all of the electronics and gizmos - I was more interested in how it delivers power, rides, and handles. The bike is really new and the guys at the dealership were just learning about it too so there wasnt much to go over or adjust before I took off for my ride, we figured out how to change riding modes and off I went.

When I started the bike it did lower itself as this model will do and it rises gradually once you are under way. I honestly never felt it lower or rise after that - not sure if it was working or not but if it was it's certainly not intrusive. I did go for a little longer ride than they asked me to do but I'm glad I did because that extra seat time does show you a bit more about the bike and how its gonna feel on a day-long ride.

The engine character is very much like a Multi with power delivery, and torque quite similar to the Ducati. Vibration is also similar with the Pan Am being just a tad smoother feeling to me. Fueling and throttle control on this bike is excellent with no hint of snatchyness during off-on throttle or dead spots anywhere in the rev range. The throttle modes are quite distinct, unlike my duc and Aprilia that are barely noticeable between modes the Pan Am delivers completely different personalities between the modes. The road mode is quite sedate and smooth while the sport mode really makes the bike come alive yet the low speed control in sport is still excellent. Overall power is quite good and although not quite up to the Ducati, It's certainly entertaining enough.

The bike is stable and solid feeling and that holds true while dipped into a corner. Its not quite as nimble as my 2011 MTS but it is more solid feeling both in a straight line and in a corner, and it is nimble enough for any amount of canyon carving I would put it through. In that sense the bike is very sporty and I think it'll hold its own with any ADV bike on the market today. I found it to be on par if not slightly more sporty than the V4 MTS, it's certainly lighter.

The riding position is a bit different - just enough to give the bike its own personality. The seat is adjustable by 1 inch, unfortunately I rode it in the low position and I would have preferred it in high. Bar position was just about right for me with that same pull back style that the new Multi has. My feet were a bit more forward and higher than I would prefer but both the new V4 duc and the GS have the same type of peg position. The seat in the high position would have helped with that. The seat felt soft and cushy, maybe a little too cushy, sometimes a firm seat with the right contour is nicer than a soft saddle.

The Pan America has semi active electronically adjustable suspension. I'm not sure if that means it adjusts to conditions like the Ducati suspension does or if it adjusts to modes and input. Either way the ride felt pretty soft and cushy until I hit a few road imperfections, and while the suspension absorbed the initial hit it was still pretty solid and didnt really soak up those bumps. In other words the suspension isn't harsh but it isn't plush either. I suppose some compromises must be made if they intend the bike to do off road duty as well as touring.

The Brembo brakes were absolutely excellent with great feel and modulation and exceptional power. There's just nothing else to say about it except to remember that this is on a Harley Davidson...

My last comment is on the dash - There's a ton of information there but I couldn't read any of it. The fonts and icons are too small to read while cruising down the road. I know there are other screens to move to that will help but as a default I think Harley missed the mark on this one detail.

Overall I think the Harley Davidson Pan America is a home run for HD. The bike competes with the competition and in some ways it wins. Take for example the service requirements - oil and fluid changes - thats it! How great would that be to never have a belt or valve adjustment bill? Of course its holding its own on most other levels as well; performance, price, capability.

I surprised myself in that I really like this Harley - a lot. And indeed I would buy this bike over most of the ADV bikes out there. And the fact that the dealer experience was one without all of the blustery HD culture I was expecting means I got a great surprise today. I actually could become a Harley Davidson owner."

Got to demo one at Lake Elsinore MX park. Impressive, turn the traction control off and it'll power wheelie at will in first or second gear, very un-harley like. Only thing that struck me as a afterthought was placement of the battery, up front, under engine, directly behind front wheel and covered by skid plate, one big rock and its toast.

pimpslayer

HOLYBAMF
Got to demo one at Lake Elsinore MX park. Impressive, turn the traction control off and it'll power wheelie at will in first or second gear, very un-harley like. Only thing that struck me as a afterthought was placement of the battery, up front, under engine, directly behind front wheel and covered by skid plate, one big rock and its toast.
Is it behind the Regulator? I saw where they put that behind the front wheel....

OP
Master-Cylinder

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
I always liked the Harley's fuel injection system, it just flat worked. The Dyno-Junk Power Vision lets you get into the system and make it run better (maybe ) or worse, at the very least...different. It a powerful tuner. IF IT STILL WORKS ON NEWER MODELS. Hopefully the ECU's aren't locked.
And, no junky box hanging off the motorcycle like an olde Power Commander.

Qwik

High Altitude BAMF
Website
www.LABusas.org
Common location for em on Adv bikes. My 05 Adventure has its batter there. Mine is protected by a skid plate though

Terry_Schiavo

Scrap Bracket magazine cover model
I know it’s a road bike but I would think a little more than 7.5” travel would have made more sense, like 8.5” seems middle ground like the standard GS they were emulating.
curious what the "optional" ride height adjuster would be? My worry about the "electronic" suspension not working quite as well as the dual chamber dirtbike stuff thats common these days. That being said if it didnt need carts and a rear shock off the bat... thats not terrible. Just amazes me how motorcycles can be so refined but lacking primo suspension components unlike cars of the same caliber.

Terry_Schiavo

Scrap Bracket magazine cover model
Its none of your beeswax but if you must know i weigh 231lbs down from 256lbs in February. And my weight continues to drop thanks to sensible dieting, thanks for asking... :fu:
are you saying there is less of you to love now? Unacceptable!!

BarryW

BAM
Scored a demo ride yesterday. By way of background: I'm 57, been riding &/or racing my entire life; dirt ,street, dragracing, roadracing. First streetbike I ever bought was a '69 Harley Sportster in '82, same year I was riding my stepdad's brand new Suzuki GS-1100. I joined LaBusas pre-crash, bought & rode a 2000 Blue/Silver Busa for 18 years and have owned 2 middle weight ADV bikes in the past 5 years, including my current '18 Honda Africa Twin. Here's my take: The riding position is different than anything I've been on before. Pegs almost felt like rear-sets with feet rear of the knees and a short-ish seat-to-peg distance, definitely good for flicking the bike around, but I have reservations about what that might mean for knee comfort during a long haul. This was the up-spec. model with ARH, and between that and the overall CG placement, this thing felt at least 50# lighter than my Honda, even though it's probably 50# heavier. Bravo Harley, the bane of ADV bikes is the top-heavy nature of a full-sized machine with a lot of suspension travel keeping all that mass perched up high.

Lots of damn switchgear & LCD displays, all the kind of shit you can figure out later if you buy one, but nothing you can commit to memory for a test ride. Fortunately, I did remember where the start button was since I stalled it on 1st launch. Compared to my Honda clutch engagement was very late in the travel and flywheel mass felt closer to that of a 125cc M/X bike! However, once underway the engine has good torque delivery everywhere. It ain't a Busa, but it'll kick the shit out of my Honda from any, and to any, RPM. The engine is simply fucking sweet. 👍 Not sure if there's much more weight they could shave, but honestly this thing is just a set of clip-ons away from feeling like a legit v-twin sportbike. The bars looked like they had 6" risers on them, a little weird actually. Anyhow, it was impressive, as I'd expect any bike in this price range to be. If a couple years down the road I hear that they're bulletproof, I'd consider doing the "be American , buy American thing" again. 😎

rotts4u

BAMF
It makes way more power than the Yammie ST12 or the BMW GS12xx, but less than the Ducati or KTM....so it's priced competitively.

If they aren't lying about the power or the weight, they may have something ....

I bet we will find out that the 150HP is in fact rated at the brochure, not the more traditional crank or rear wheel. I bet we see 105-RWHP

OP
Master-Cylinder

Master-Cylinder

I bet we will find out that the 150HP is in fact rated at the brochure, not the more traditional crank or rear wheel. I bet we see 105-RWHP
Nigga please, it will show at least 150 or a DynoJunk Timed Roller. On a real dyno... probably not.

pimpslayer

HOLYBAMF
Got to demo one at Lake Elsinore MX park. Impressive, turn the traction control off and it'll power wheelie at will in first or second gear, very un-harley like.
Highly unlikely Rotts....my bud said it felt like the engine in his 1200 Multistrada, and almost as much power (but his has a "tune" about 135rwhp).

Qwik

High Altitude BAMF
Website
www.LABusas.org
I know it’s a road bike but I would think a little more than 7.5” travel would have made more sense, like 8.5” seems middle ground like the standard GS they were emulating.
Yup. The Konflict suspension on my 950 made a world of difference
She’s a big girl but can hustle in the twisties and the dirt.
31733D5B-D230-4B2C-BD50-FB025094DE3C.jpeg

whipit1K

BAMF
It probably is at the crank, every reviewer who has ridden this bike comments that it is a fast bike....not a putt putt.

I think it will be around 125-130 RWHP on a dynojet just based on what has been said about it and what a stock KTM 1290 super adventure will do on a dynojet dyno. say what you want about dynojet dyno's...it is just a number for comparison's sake, and dynojet is more or less the standard way of obtaining that number

OP
Master-Cylinder

Master-Cylinder

Maybe.
Factory Pro has a "DynoJunk" type test on it called a Sweep Test, it reads higher than it's regular load cell test.
SuperFlow has four different tests, one the emulates a DynoJunk Timed Roller test. Plus SAE, JIS, and DIN, but not CUNA or any of the other oddballs.

jhinderliter

BAMF+
Picked mine up last Tuesday after work and ran to the dragon the next morning..

copy paste from the pan am board

Thoughts and highlights ..

Picked up my bike from Walters Brothers HD in Peoria Illinois who did an amazing job getting me on the bike 👍👍 thanks a million to them !

Was very happy to find that my Moto Centric soft bag set and tank bag from the old ZX12r fit like a glove .. The homies showed up for new bike ceremonies and the whiskey and beer flowed late into the night ... Got a late start Wednesday morning as I had to pack and rig a Ram ball mount ...

All my modular helmets are rigged with hard wire coms for the Road Glide Ultra so I was struggling with what to wear , I throw on and old Shoei RF 1200 from my FJR and Connie days that I’d retired 5 years ago and hit the road , left West Central Illinois at 10 am ...

Ran 2 lane roads for the first 180 miles headed for St Louis trying to get a feel for the bike stopping at HD stores on the way looking for an oil filter with no luck , lots of folks loving on the bike and tire kicking at every stop..

At 6’ 2” i noticed my legs are a little cramped so I put the seat up high , remove the rubber from the foot pegs and throw on a Saddleman gel pad I’d bought in the Connie days for friends that couldn’t hang with an iron ass.. All the little tweaks paid off in spades instantly...

Stopped at the Ducati/Triumph/KTM store to shop for an ADV helmet , they had an Arai for $700 but no flip down smoked visor which was a deal breaker so I head out for the interstate East bound.. Side note , none of them seemed very interested in the Pan Am lol ..

Get on 64 East and set the cruise at 93 and roll turning 5400 RPM effortlessly, the bike handles the road flawlessly, everything is working perfect , the wind management is spot on with the screen up high and it makes power everywhere all the time ... 6th gear roll ons are amazing ...

Run non stop to South East Illinois and grab a bag of gas before I jump on 24 to Nashville , showed 37 mpg ... Had a state trooper that I’d blown by 5 miles back follow me in to the gas pump off the Interstate... He just wanted to check out the bike lol

Get on 24 for the 190 mile shot to Nashville and get passed by 3 C8 Corvettes rolling 100 and sprinting to 130 and change , had a blast and we made Nashville together non stop pretty quick ...

See a C17 freedom flight on short final as we pass Ft Campbell, I smile inside my helmet , welcome home Brothers 😎

Running low on fuel as we hit Nashville but I want to push through and gas on the east side , I find that the range estimator is as about as reliable as the one on my Road Glide as it stops counting down at around 15 miles ..
Gas up at 193 miles on the trip meter and showed 40 mpg even ...

Ran from Nashville to Knoxville non stop , gas up and showing 70 miles to Cherokee .. It’s dark and starting to rain , call my friend in Cherokee and he advises me to hole up in Gatlinburg for the night ... Grab a 6 pack of Blackhorse IPA and head in , Checked into a hotel at 1230 local and cool out ...

Note , the adaptive headlight is worth every penny 👍

Wake up in the morning to hard rain , called the HD dealer in Maryville and they have an oil filter .. Throw rain gear on and head out , had a great time at Smokey Mountain HD , the staff was awesome and they had parts on the shelf , bought a set of tank grip pads for $40 and the handy dandy PA tool kit for $150 ... Nobody knew what size the oil drain plug was but we figured the right size wrench would be in there , I was also concerned that the chain needed adjusted ...

They also had the Passage Adventure ADV helmet in stock ... It’s awesome 👍👍 I highly recommend them 😎

Ran out of Maryville on 129 headed for the Dragon in the rain , the bike is in rain mode and it’s working great ..

First few runs through the dragon are pretty awkward as I’m used to running through on sport bikes.. Learning to look through turns from the sitting up position , learning to to lean it and apply power and working on downshifting to call for power , which I haven’t had to do yet ... And the roads are wet ...
Rain mode kept me safe , breaking and rolling into the gas with confidence..
The engineers did good 👍

Run the 28 road to 19 , roll into Cherokee and check into my friends hotel The Rolling Hills lodge ( that’s where you stay if you ride a bike to Cherokee ) at 830 .. I hit auto zone on the way and grabbed an oil drain pan , funnel and shop towels ...

Crack a cold beer , wipe down the bike and swap the oil and filter ... Burned about a 1/4 to 1/2 quart on the way , showing 970 on the odometer.. The chain slack is spot on in limits , no adjustment required..

Wake up to clear blue skies and one of the best garden omelettes I’ve ever had made by my friend the inn keeper , we catch up over breakfast and part ways . I play on mountain roads all day ending up back at the dragon in the afternoon ... Really starting to get a feel for the bike and on dry roads in sport mode it’s fuckin awesome... One of the best bikes I’ve ever thrown around ... Stops , leans and goes like a dream , the Michelin’s stick like glue and I’m starting to make little rubber balls on the edges of the back tire 😎😎

Have an afternoon snack and the tail of the dragon resort and have fun chatting with all the tire kickers ... It gets lots of attention ...

Do my final run west through the dragon and stop for a picture at the overlook at 4:09 PM .. Point the bike North West and figure I’ll run till I run out of daylight , grab gas in Williamsburg KY and the place is a dump , didn’t even put the kickstand down .. Run out of daylight and gas after I cross the bridge in Louisville, gas up and stretch the legs a bit ... Showing 360 miles to the house at that point so I say screw it ...Drink some water , put on the clear glasses and roll...

Note , the switches are not back lit ... Become familiar with them in case you shut the cruise off that’s set at 93 because some dickhead refuses to clear out of the left lane while you are following at 70 ...
And you fumble for the flash to pass switch with leather gloves on and inadvertently hit the ‘Resume’ on your cruise with your head snapped back and your arms getting pulled away from you 😬😲

Note , the display is oriented pretty low and didn’t match up with my cockpit scan .. You literally have to take your eyes off the road and look down to check your instruments ... Upside is if I would’ve got pulled over I could honestly tell the officer I had no idea how fast I was going 😎👍

Note , set your instruments backlighting to ‘auto dim’ in the settings .. The default causes a glare at night ...

The next 2 bags of gas were uneventful, Full to empty non stop..

Being able to stand up and stretch your legs while you ride is a game changer...

Edit : another note - when you change the oil on the center stand you will need to raise the front end or put weight on the back to get all of the old oil out 👍👍

Pull into my garage at 1:30 AM..

Didn’t use a drop of oil coming home ..

Showing 1737 on the odometer..

This bike is awesome 👍👍

4692FBD6-C341-4309-8790-4ED58DCEDEF9.jpegD4EF9A8E-4E01-41D9-84B8-B35DB2E69D75.jpeg08071A7F-CF24-4CD7-B6ED-64260FB4AA34.jpegCBF2E8C5-26EA-462A-B31A-67719BFAF663.jpeg4849DAA4-FDAE-4215-8AFF-89C83DDF4B8A.jpeg4E59C19D-6FF8-47C7-9D6C-8D90769B56DF.jpeg

EF027CD7-A497-4709-BD49-B5E517D98ADA.jpeg

9829CE37-5B7F-422F-95E0-71691004D52E.jpeg

30767907-30F9-443B-B310-DA43EE965F39.png

Stetson

BAMF+
How far you live from Hwy. 129? Is Blinky's (Wheelers) shop still there? That retard worked at The Junkyard way back.he was their first employee.

If Blinky worked at the junkyard "way back" but left to open his own shop, and you worked there for 35+ years, just left and still do work for them on the side, who's the retard again?:biggrin:

OP
Master-Cylinder

Master-Cylinder

He was driven out by me. Couldn't handle my brilliance. I pretty much had summers off there for racing purposes. I was also paid way more money than most motorcycle mechanics. I was never a. " technician". Now retirement job pays even more, with way less aggravation. If he can still deal with asshole customers, good for him.

BarryW

BAM
That bag setup looks like it was designed for it, switches not backlit? what kind of fuckness is that.
From my daytime demo ride I remember thinking it'd take a long time to memorize that many switches, gotta believe they'll be getting plenty of feedback to add backlighting to future models.

Top Bottom