Thread: Motorcycle Suits- Which Brand Has the Slimmest Cut?

Default Motorcycle Suits- Which Brand Has the Slimmest Cut?

I'm looking for an off-the-rack suit- I'm looking mostly at Dainese and Alpinestars, but I'm open to other brands (I know there are a lot of fans of Pilot and other custom makers, but due to my location that won't work for me).

I'm 6'2" so I need something that will work with my height- the problem I have is that I need a size 44 to accommodate my shoulders, but I don't have a gut and the waist tends to be too loose on me.

I could probably find a tailor that works with leather to take it in a bit, but then I'd be worried that safety was compromised.

Any recommendations on a brand or particular style of suit? I've been eyeing an Alpinestars Tech 1 R on closeout, but I think they actually run a bit big in that model (which is unusual for Alpinestars, at least so I've read) as it's cut for the American market (good for height, but the waist is probably in the 36"-38" range, and I'm about 32").

Default Re: Motorcycle Suits- Which Brand Has the Slimmest Cut?

Off the rack for fat ass Americans are gonna be big in the gut. I bought a set of Alpine Stars, they were huge! I wore them once or twice and hung them up.
    Fly to Japan and try some different brands on.
    There's real horsepower, and there's DynoJet horsepower.
    Don't get confused, DynoJet horsepower is not real horsepower.

Non-Grom.

3. Default Re: Motorcycle Suits- Which Brand Has the Slimmest Cut?

Let me give you some good advice. Goto Vanson and get some CUSTOM FIT leathers. Buy once buy for life.

22 separate measurements insure exact fit. Thick leather. Fit to you.

Brian you will fit well in just about anyones off the rack suit, but hands down the slimmest sized suits are made in Japan. Kushitani, RS Taichi, Nankai, or Hyod are what you want. I sold suits my whole life, and these makes will always be just a bit snugger through out. Not too mention, they are well made. They all do custom fitting if that is what you want, and your speaking Japanese will go a long way, but i am confident you will fit their off the rack stuff nicely. You should be able to find some great deals around your neck of the woods, if not go through Oz, or Japan direct.

Keep in mind the riding you will be doing too. If you are not hitting the track, a two piece may be your ticket. You obviously need the best perforated suit being in Thailand, and a removable/washable liner is a must, as you will be a sweaty fuck wearing leather over there. Going two piece is also a good way to size a fit individual like yourself too. Chest and waist are your two variables.

You can go Astars, or Dainese like every other rider in the world, or keep it exotic and go the Hyod/Nankai route Vanson does make a decent product, but why buy something from an arrogant Masshole like the owner of Vanson. Fuck them!!!!!!

If you do go the custom route and want a good US product, go to SYED in Florida. I am sure Mcyl knows them. Real durable, less fashionable though.
    Last edited by BigHock; 03-16-2013 at 08:06 PM.

My Alpinestar suit is off the rack item and fits fine.

if you can't laugh at your self, make fun of other people, if you make them cry, take pictures.

the next labusas track day:
    http://www.labusas.org/forum/showthr...s-get-together

Quote Originally Posted by nickslick View Post
    Let me give you some good advice. Goto Vanson and get some CUSTOM FIT leathers. Buy once buy for life.

Should he fly from Thailand to the US to have this done or is Vanson going to send someone to him.

I had Syed make me a set once, they were pretty good! Rich Oliver had a set from there too.

Be warned, they are muslims and a little "off".

I had a bunch from Vanson, they were top notch and they would repair them nicely. Their measurements never seemed to be correct the first time.
    There's real horsepower, and there's DynoJet horsepower.
    Don't get confused, DynoJet horsepower is not real horsepower.

Non-Grom.

any local leather shop can sew a dart in the sides of your suit to form fit to your waist for dirt cheap...its a single line of stitching.

so just buy what fits everywhere but the waist...then go have them take it in at the leather shop.

they dont cut any leather in doing this...think of it as just folding in the waist an stitching along the fold to make a seam....dont have to worry about them cutting the factory stitching etc so no loss of strength.
    "What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."

when i went custom i ordered from europe. because at least they have their ce/ppe rating system so you kinda know what you're going to get, right down to the stitching. whereas the american versions are all just shots in the dark...like buying helmets with no rating. yikes.

just need a tailor to do the right measurements and send 'em in.

10. Default Re: Motorcycle Suits- Which Brand Has the Slimmest Cut?

GET ONE WITH AC. UNLESS YOU PLAN TO LOSE 5LBS EVERY TIME YOU RIDE

Quote Originally Posted by BigHock View Post
    Brian you will fit well in just about anyones off the rack suit, but hands down the slimmest sized suits are made in Japan. Kushitani, RS Taichi, Nankai, or Hyod are what you want. I sold suits my whole life, and these makes will always be just a bit snugger through out. Not too mention, they are well made. They all do custom fitting if that is what you want, and your speaking Japanese will go a long way, but i am confident you will fit their off the rack stuff nicely. You should be able to find some great deals around your neck of the woods, if not go through Oz, or Japan direct.

Keep in mind the riding you will be doing too. If you are not hitting the track, a two piece may be your ticket. You obviously need the best perforated suit being in Thailand, and a removable/washable liner is a must, as you will be a sweaty fuck wearing leather over there. Going two piece is also a good way to size a fit individual like yourself too. Chest and waist are your two variables.

You can go Astars, or Dainese like every other rider in the world, or keep it exotic and go the Hyod/Nankai route Vanson does make a decent product, but why buy something from an arrogant Masshole like the owner of Vanson. Fuck them!!!!!!

If you do go the custom route and want a good US product, go to SYED in Florida. I am sure Mcyl knows them. Real durable, less fashionable though.
    I'm actually looking at an RS Taichi in 44, but I'm worried that it will be too short and will crush my nuts unless I'm completely hunched over (I realize I'll have to live with that to a degree with any suit, but a Japanese brand worries me in that regard). RS Taichi has a great perforation pattern, and would be a good choice if it would work for me. Do you think that size would work with my height (6'2" with a fairly long torso)?

I've already got a couple of two-piece combos- a Dianese jacket matched (via a tailored zipper) to AGV Sport pants, and a Teknic Violator jacket (which is actually fantastic) with a pair of their Chicane pants, but I would like a nice one-piece (for poser value if nothing else).

Quote Originally Posted by maui View Post
    My Alpinestar suit is off the rack item and fits fine.

What size? We're pretty close in height and weight.
    Last edited by gobrian77; 03-16-2013 at 09:25 PM.

My shop got picked by RS Taichi to become one of their dealers in L.A. Got a meeting with them this Monday and I should have the product in by the end of the month.
    The tech 1r suit is pretty badass. I used one for about a year before I sold it. Size 56 fit me perfect.
    Bombaybusa , the crazy indian !
    Bombay Motorsports
    sales@bombaymotorsports.com
    www.shopbombaymotorsports.com

Quote Originally Posted by bombaybusa View Post
    My shop got picked by RS Taichi to become one of their dealers in L.A. Got a meeting with them this Monday and I should have the product in by the end of the month.
    The tech 1r suit is pretty badass. I used one for about a year before I sold it. Size 56 fit me perfect.
    If you've got any decent close-outs in 44 (Euro54) that are good for a tall guy (I'm open to all brands except Teknic as I already have a 2-piece suit from them), let me know- my plan was to contact you before buying anything in any case.

I'm Dainese and nothing but. Off the racks always fit me perfect.

Has anyone ever tried a kangaroo skin set? Expensive and has me intrigued...

Quote Originally Posted by gobrian77 View Post
    What size? We're pretty close in height and weight.
    Yes I recall we are pretty close as build goes. I'm 6'2" 190 and 33 waist. I think my suit is a 46, I'll be back home tomorrow evening and I'll double check.

if you can't laugh at your self, make fun of other people, if you make them cry, take pictures.

As far as the waist being a little big, yes at first it seems that way but leather has a tendency to start to adopt. Especially after you get it wet. Plus how it fits your waist standing verses riding are two different issues. My two piece suit is similar in fit.

Quote Originally Posted by nickslick View Post

not for nothing but you pay lots of $$$$ for that heavy assed shit. Id much rather buy a new suit every year that weighs 1/3 as much and does not look like its styled in the 60s.

And any seamstress that understands how to use the proper thread can tailor any off the rack suit to fit. Been there done that both ways... I just want whatever suit Im wearing to protect me... not last 20 yrs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Master-Cylinder View Post
    Your buddy has the right shape and style sense to be a Harley rider.

Looks like the only lifting he does now, is from the plate to his intake port.
    Thank you for debasing yourself to the point where you've dealt with us over 33,000 times

Yes I recall we are pretty close as build goes. I'm 6'2" 190 and 33 waist. I think my suit is a 46, I'll be back home tomorrow evening and I'll double check.
    46 will definitely be really roomy in the waist for me- I've got 2 jackets in 44, and they're both very snug in the shoulders and loose in the waist, but they both have adjusters at their sides to compensate- unfortunately the suits don't. The torso length is also a big concern.

If I were in the States it would be no big deal- if I got the size wrong an exchange would be easy- living in Thailand makes that really difficult and expensive (and worrisome that something will get lost during shipping).

I'm Dainese and nothing but. Off the racks always fit me perfect.

Has anyone ever tried a kangaroo skin set? Expensive and has me intrigued...

Not a Dainese Jumpy suit, but a Spidi, and Kushitani. They are thinner with as much or more tear resistance. Lighter weight as a result. Nice suits. They are a bit more money, but you will find a difference

The shoulders on my suit are pretty tight, I can usually get it by my self with some contortion. It's also sometimes boarder line painful to take off. If I can get someone to pull the first shoulder out though you can bet I'm going that route.

I hear Kangaroo is what all the top level riders wear.

My two piece is a Dainese, very nice for sure.

The best deal on a kangaroo suit at the moment is a previous generation Teknic Xcelerator (circa 2011) suit for about $725 (maybe less soon on leftovers)- the new version is about $1300.

So how do you think the torso length would work out in a size 44 RS Taichi, Todd? Is 6'2" too tall for it?

I've got a Dainese jacket- it was more than twice the price of my Teknic Violator jacket, but it's not even close to twice the jacket (though it's nicer, but for the price it should be)- I was extremely impressed with what Teknic offers for the money- Dainese is nice, but you definitely pay for the name.

Quote Originally Posted by luckystrike View Post
    yes that is a good reason to buy one when you become a top level rider...lol.

Thank you for debasing yourself to the point where you've dealt with us over 33,000 times

Quote Originally Posted by luckystrike View Post
    Most do. A lot of brands actually farm out their professional suit needs to places like GIMOTO in Italy, or Corner I think Italian too. When Colin Edwards first started wearing Spidi, he would just use a standard suit with some upgrades, like extra elbow padding etc. Dainese is one of the few manufactures that actual make all their stuff in house, but I think they have fallen to some outside help with some of their items. Companies like Alpinestars have always used other vendors to make a lot of their suits. Look at any older photos of Haga, or Duhamel when they started wearing Astars. Clearly they were RS Taichi suits and gloves branded with the Astar logo. Madiff industries in China is a big player in all motorcycle gear, and other clothing like North Face, columbia, etc. Arlen ness, AGV sport, Berik all Madiff products... Funny how the same factory produces a range of products for multiple brands. The brands supply most raw materials, and quality control, but the same old lady sews up Fox clothing, and then next month starts sewing O'neal clothing.

Now I'm leaning toward a Dainese Crono suit (which they call their 'summer suit')- it's not their highest-end or most technical suit, but it would probably be a good choice from my climate.

Attached Images Attached Images

29. Default Re: Motorcycle Suits- Which Brand Has the Slimmest Cut?

Quote Originally Posted by Terry_Schiavo View Post
    not for nothing but you pay lots of $$$$ for that heavy assed shit. Id much rather buy a new suit every year that weighs 1/3 as much and does not look like its styled in the 60s.

And any seamstress that understands how to use the proper thread can tailor any off the rack suit to fit. Been there done that both ways... I just want whatever suit Im wearing to protect me... not last 20 yrs.

i dont care how long it last, or how it looks. I WANT FUCKING ARMOR. That is what Vanson is... armor.

it protects better because its thicker, heavier, and well better made.

i have taken some hard falls in my vansons, leaves a scuff mark

as for your comment about any tailer being able to measure you, this is correct.
    Last edited by nickslick; 03-18-2013 at 11:39 PM.

The "racer oriented" Dainese models like the Avro fit snugger than the rest of their line. I'm 5'11" and my torso barely fits vertically into a US 44. Also, a back protector takes up room that you need to account for.

I strongly recommend an undersuit: http://www.revzilla.com/base-layers# RS Taichi was the first, then Rev'it (the one I have is great), and now Alpinestars and Dainese have competitors. They make it much easier to get in and out of your leathers.
    "Mr. Blutarsky. Zero...point...zero."

^

I already have an Alpinestars summer undersuit, as well as lighter Under Armour gear- it gets so hot here that I won't always be able to add a full base layer, unfortunately- I also have an EVS CTR cooling vest, but that doesn't help with getting a suit on or off.

"Mr. Blutarsky. Zero...point...zero."

After MUCH research, I decided to go with a suit geared more toward the street than the track (way more ventilation and stretch)- though it may be a tad baggy on my bony ass, I went with the new Orbiter suit fom Alpinestars (thanks to Bombay, who always has the best deals in town) along with the A* Bionic Race back protector and Freeride padded shorts:

I got the black/white/red as I figured it would run a bit cooler than the black/white (which is actually nearly all black):

what size did you end up ordering? Mine is a 46 and it is tough to get in and out of...so just right.

35. Default Re: Motorcycle Suits- Which Brand Has the Slimmest Cut?

BOOTS,GLOVES,HELMET?

36. Default Re: Motorcycle Suits- Which Brand Has the Slimmest Cut?

I LIKE THE LEATHERS

what size did you end up ordering? Mine is a 46 and it is tough to get in and out of...so just right.
    I went with the 54 (US44) as it's a bit of a relaxed fit- I saw a video of a guy 6' 195lbs in a 52 and it fit him snug, so I figure at 6'2" 190lbs I made the right choice (you've got the MX-1, right? That's way more track-oriented and tighter).
    Last edited by gobrian77; 03-23-2013 at 06:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GSXRN99 View Post
    BOOTS,GLOVES,HELMET?
    Sidi Vortice Air and A* Supertech R, Spidi Race Vent and Knox Handroid, and a Shoei RF-1100 (plus some other stuff like pants and jackets)- I'm set.

Now all I need to do is buy a new bike (a ZX-14R may very well be ordered before the month is out- I'm still trying to resign myself the the price- it's just over double MSRP with import taxes

I went with the 54 (US44) as it's a bit of a relaxed fit- I saw a video of a guy 6' 195lbs in a 52 and it fit him snug, so I figure at 6'2" 190lbs I made the right choice (you've got the MX-1, right? That's way more track-oriented and tighter).
    yep I have the MX suit, with the back protector there's not additional room. It's a good fit considering it's just an off the rack. 2 years of supermoto though and I think it's nearing it's end of service. Hope to get another season out of it.

for the weather you get have you considered a riding suit for the rain etc? Leather suits don't do well when they get wet..

I've got an Oxford Bone-Dry Oversuit (made specifically to go over leathers) if I get caught in a downpour, but I also have other gear that is more at home in the rain.

I usually wear different stuff for different rides. I'll wear my MX1 suit for track or hooligan dayz, if I'm just riding to and fro I wear my two piece dainese. Lots of times if it's gonna rain I'll just put my Mountain Hardwear jacket one over what ever I have. Works out amazingly well. For the humidity you have I wouldn't know exactly what would be best but I know you research shit about as much as I do before you buy. I'll be interested to hear how you like all that stuff after you get some seat time and hit some weather.

I'm wearing my MX1 right now it's dangerous typing on labusas..well that and I've got a wet busa outside and I'm on the way to the supermoto track..

My plan is to never be more than a couple hours from my truck (which will hold a decent gear selection)- I'm going to be trailering the bike to the good spots and totally avoid having to ride through the congested sections of Bangkok and other big cities (I realize some won't considering this 'real' riding but the temps here can wipe you out pretty quickly if you're stalled in traffic). Most of the areas that interest me are at a bit of elevation so the weather shouldn't be too brutal- I'm going to try to always wear leather (besides the one-piece A* I've got two two-piece combos made up of Dainese, Teknic, and AGV Sport).

I have absolutely researched the hell out of everything I've bought, but so far it's mostly hypothetical- I will post of my real-world experience.

I'm 6'3 and can't imagine getting into a suit smaller than a 48. I'd have to trim down to 200lbs to get in it too. I've been running an A* race replica for 7 years. It's survived one very bad spill and you'd be hard pressed to notice.

I like the look of the suit you picked Brian. Good luck with it. You certainly won't be disappointed in the quality or durability.

Quote Originally Posted by speedracer View Post
    I'm 6'3 and can't imagine getting into a suit smaller than a 48. I'd have to trim down to 200lbs to get in it too. I've been running an A* race replica for 7 years. It's survived one very bad spill and you'd be hard pressed to notice.

I like the look of the suit you picked Brian. Good luck with it. You certainly won't be disappointed in the quality or durability.
    This year's Race Replica is about $2500 (and it's plumbed for the new Tech Airbag system for a couple grand more)- it's about the best off-the-rack track suit available, but would be way overkill for my intended street use- if I were going to ride on the track, I probably would have gone for the Atem, which is a notch below it.

There were actually several suits on my list that I think had a nicer look than the one I actually bought, but (for once) my brain beat out the part of my ego that likes to pose. It's brand new so there isn't much info on the Orbiter, but it's made more for the European market where people tend to ride the street more in one-piece suits than they do in the US- it's got more aramid stretch material than a racer would want, but I think it will serve me well.

This year's Race Replica is about $2500 (and it's plumbed for the new Tech Airbag system for a couple grand more)- it's about the best off-the-rack track suit available, but would be way overkill for my intended street use- if I were going to ride on the track, I probably would have gone for the Atem, which is a notch below it.

There were actually several suits on my list that I think had a nicer look than the one I actually bought, but (for once) my brain beat out the part of my ego that likes to pose. It's brand new so there isn't much info on the Orbiter, but it's made more for the European market where people tend to ride the street more in one-piece suits than they do in the US- it's got more aramid stretch material than a racer would want, but I think it will serve me well.
    I've got the first gen race rep, and got it for a very good price. At the time of purchase, I was looking at the next suit down in the line - SX1 maybe. I forget it's been 7 years lol. The place I dealt with was out of stock in the colour I wanted, and offered me the replica suit at nearly the same price. Back then, the replica was $1800, and the next suit down was $1200. I got it for $1300. Win win.

The airbag system is pretty trick stuff. Looks like a real collar bone saver, amongst other things.

Got my Alpinestars Orbiter suit today (thanks to Bombay)- I'm very happy I went with the 44/54- I'm about 6'2" 187lbs, and it's very snug in the shoulders and chest (I can fit the back protector- the pic is without it, though) while being a bit loose in the waist (I'm also not wearing the padded Bionic Freeride shorts, which will fill it out a bit)- the torso length is just about perfect, and the legs have enough length to work with my boots- I can stand straight with crushing my nads.

All-in-all, I think it was a great choice:

hows it feel in the crouched position?

It feels great (that red A* band at the lower back is a leather stretch panel)- I'm really surprised by how comfortable it is right out of the box (the reviews did mention this but I was skeptical)- it probably doesn't have the durability of a 100% track-oriented suit, but that's not what I wanted. I did a ton of research before pulling the trigger (as I always do) and this suit really fit the bill for me.

I needed help getting it on and (especially) off, but it will break in.
    Last edited by gobrian77; 04-03-2013 at 03:35 AM.