Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vinyl fence gate gap question

Default Vinyl fence gate gap question

I hired a local fence company to remove our old fence and install a new one. The one we liked was the most expensive one and had to be custom made. It took 2 weeks from contract to installation.

The gates were originally 8 inches taller than the fence sections. They took them yesterday and I assume, cut them to fit. They came back today to install the gates but only one "fit" and I am not exactly sure it does even fit.

There's a 1.5 inch gap on the left and a 1 inch gap on the right. You can look right through. This is supposed to be a privacy fence.

The 2nd gate didn't fit at all and they took it away for a second time. They're probably hacking it up right now.

I realize there needs to be a gap between the gate and the posts but is this excessive?

Default Re: Vinyl fence gate gap question

Why didn't they do something like a "recessed" hinge...kinda like a house front door...Also that "gap" by the porch looks like "crap"...Sorry just my .02....
    ........SEE YA....in my mirrors....

Yeah, everyone walking by will see you having sex with Herman in the hot tub

I don't know. This is just what they used I guess. I'm not thrilled with the latch either really. I can live with the their hardware choice though. The gaps are what's driving me nuts.

The gap should be maybe 1/2" max on either side of the gate?

Google doesn't say what an average gate gap should be.
    Last edited by BigBusa1; 09-01-2010 at 01:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rastus View Post
    Yeah, everyone walking by will see you having sex with Herman in the hot tub

zactly

Why is the "gap" on the two middle ones at the bottom higher than the others? Get your money's worth if this was a "custom" job. Accept no less remember you got to live with it.

7. Default Re: Vinyl fence gate gap question

It's because you're gay and they are going to screw you over.
    I know nothing about this topic.

I dont have much of an issue with the hinge side gap...but the latch side id make em fix.

(well that and all the other crap others have pointed out with your new wall)
    "What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."

Quote Originally Posted by Your Car Is Slow View Post
    I dont have much of an issue with the hinge side gap...but the latch side id make em fix.

(well that and all the other crap others have pointed out with your new wall)
    The half-assed way to "fix" the wide gap on the left side is to center the gate more. Doing so would leave 1.25 inch gap on both sides instead of a 1.5" on the left and a 1" on the right ...as it is now.

I think they're gonna need to order a new 2" wider gate.

Gate on the left is an easy fix. Adjust hinges to an acceptable gap and then move the leftmost post to match. Looks like a single panel on that side headed to the rear, so two posts to move? If there is a similar gap with the other gate, that rightmost panel will need to be relocated. Make 'em work for the $$$.

Now, black hardware on the outside of a fence like that? Gates opening outward to block the sidewalk?
    Down like a clown, Charlie Brown.

You're right... they're coming tomorrow to move the post over.

Yes, 1 panel going to the rear on the left side of the gate.

Both gates have to open out onto the sidewalk. It works with out retaining wall layout behind the fence.
    Last edited by BigBusa1; 09-01-2010 at 03:12 PM.

adding that fence to your yard/house is like trying to polish a turd.

the whole place looks like an abortion, why bother with a 'nice fence'

Well, you know the old saying, "If you want it done right, do it yourself", or hold a gun to the head of the asshole doing the work.

Last week they put up a fence around the back of the shithole where I work. Worst fucking job I've ever seen! In some sections it is at least a foot off the ground. A dog could walk out from under it. The assholes that installed it were too lazy to dig it down in sections.
    I told the boss to tell them to do it over, he declined. I really looks like shit!

When I did mine, the bitch was STRAIGHT!
    There's real horsepower, and there's DynoJet horsepower.
    Don't get confused, DynoJet horsepower is not real horsepower.

Non-Grom.

I think the gaps are o.k., but if you're paying for a custom job, then you better get it how you want it. What's going to be done where the front of the house comes up at an angle at the end of the fence? That's gotta be filled in somehow too doesn't it?
    I had my vinyl fence channeled into the ground. It's not going to rot anyway. I've got little dogs, and if it was up off the ground like that they'd probably want to dig under it. The guys installing it got two panels up and there was 3 or 4 inches of gap underneath. Glad I caught them early and made it clear. They weren't rocket scientists anyway, so extreme guidance was the word of the day.

Gar

Godspeed little buddy

The owner is a good guy. He came over tonight and told me he won't be satisfied until I tell him it's perfect. He's been doing fences for 30 years in upstate NY and said this is a one of a kind fence in the area. Because it's so expensive, people never order it. They opt for the basic white or wood stockade.

He knows that this is HUGE exposure for him. His biz is word of mouth and from advertising on the little plaque they attach to each fence they finish (that's how I found him). We live on the 2nd busiest street in the city. He'll enjoy major free advertising for years to come from this unique fence. He probably should have paid me to put this fence up.

I am not sure about what will be done where the fence meets the house. That is an eyesore.
    Last edited by BigBusa1; 09-01-2010 at 06:36 PM.

16. Default Re: Vinyl fence gate gap question

Them gaps are way to big.
    Obviously someone screwed up either post placement or gate size.
    You can see how much they adjusted out that hinge by the paint line.

I would be worried that some punk is gonna tag that thing.
    Probably looks like a blank canvas to them

fuck you've turned into a boring faghag.

AT least before you had some minimall worth with some wit.

I can only hope everyone shits on your fence and this thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan_Carumba View Post
    I would be worried that some punk is gonna tag that thing.
    Probably looks like a blank canvas to them

They dont tag here in troy. We dont have many mexicans or grafitti up here.

!/4" gaps on the hinge side and center. It does look stupid where it butts the house....

GAP or GAPE?

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Nuts View Post
    It does look stupid where it butts the house....
    I'd have to agree with this. It's the most obvious issue in your pics to me.

As for the gaps, after they fix it... could you add one of those plastic fins that go under doors to prevent air from going in/out? I mean, add it to the side gaps? Just to add more privacy. And because it's rubber you wouldn't worry about it breaking when the door swings. Or creating noise.

It does look stupid where it butts the house....
    Quote Originally Posted by CZ Eddie View Post
    I'd have to agree with this. It's the most obvious issue in your pics to me.
    BigBusa, dude, are you sure you're gay?

You've been posting pics here for years of your homes, stuff, etc., and I gotta say, dude, for a homosexual you have the worst design and decor eye I've ever seen. Shit, you suck even by straight guy standards.

You live in Albany for fuck's sake What an enigma...

That whole fence...just doesn't work...

heh, Rustie said "butts" in a BB thread.

Currently in the western spiral arm of an insignificant galaxy

LS are you asking him to prove himself to you?

You sure are doing a lot of trolling these days.

First BM and now BB.

Go hit up craigslist.

Save your Labusas pride.
    trust: firm reliance on the integrity, ability, and character of another person.

betrayal: the violation of trust; deliverance into the hands of an enemy

trust is weakness.

betrayal is the hidden blade.

The most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help." - Ronald Reagan

Well, Engage, to be honest, while I'm doubtful about Bigbusa...in your case there can be no doubt

Currently in the western spiral arm of an insignificant galaxy

Well I'm flattered you're attracted to me but no thanks LS.

I mean remember how you always say that real sports car have the motor amidships?

Well you're like the man version of a 928.
    trust: firm reliance on the integrity, ability, and character of another person.

betrayal: the violation of trust; deliverance into the hands of an enemy

trust is weakness.

betrayal is the hidden blade.

The most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help." - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by BigBusa1 View Post
    I am not sure about what will be done where the fence meets the house. That is an eyesore.
    And hardly private either.

Maybe just one more 4X4 post screwed or glued to the main post would fill it in.

Something should be done though.

Gar

Godspeed little buddy

A big shrub

A big shrub
    So simple. I wish I'd have thought of it!

Gar

Godspeed little buddy

They should have scooted it back 4"

They should have scooted it back 4"

Holy hindsight! That would have been perfect. That, or move it back 3 feet and put a short little hedge there in front of the fence.
    BB's gonna hate us both for Monday morning quarterbacking this fucker

Gar

Godspeed little buddy

Quote Originally Posted by BigGar View Post
    Maybe just one more 4X4 post screwed or glued to the main post would fill it in.

Quote Originally Posted by CZ Eddie View Post
    add one of those plastic fins that go under doors to prevent air from going in/out? I mean, add it to the side gaps?
    good ideas

Quote Originally Posted by luckystrike View Post

That whole fence...just doesn't work...
    The fence may not exactly "fit" the house or the neighborhood but what's wrong with trying to bring both "up" a few notches with a shiny new fence?

We really like the fence. Our neighbors have commented that they love it and people walking by say "nice fence". Can't argue with that.
    Last edited by BigBusa1; 09-02-2010 at 06:37 AM.

hopefully said company didnt have the word "professional" in their name or be licensed to do such shoddy work!
    Quote Originally Posted by Master-Cylinder View Post
    Your buddy has the right shape and style sense to be a Harley rider.

Looks like the only lifting he does now, is from the plate to his intake port.
    Quote Originally Posted by gobrian77 View Post
    Thank you for debasing yourself to the point where you've dealt with us over 33,000 times

Quote Originally Posted by BigBusa1 View Post
    We really like the fence. Our neighbors have commented that they love it and people walking by say "nice fence". Can't argue with that.
    Dude, you live in Albany, those endorsement from your neighbors should be your first clue that something's wrong.

How come you don't live in some urban setting in a swanky loft or something? I think there's a straight guy inside of you trying to come out of the closet...

Quote Originally Posted by luckystrike View Post
    How come you don't live in some urban setting in a swanky loft or something? I think there's a straight guy inside of you trying to come out of the closet...

You obviously don't know a lot of gay people in real life. You're getting your info about gays from the TV shows you watch.

We do not all march in parades and live in swanky, colorful, urban lofts with high end furniture. We don't all workout at the gym daily, frequent gay bars every weekend, do drugs and hook up with every random guy we can.

95% of gays are "regular people" just like you and your wife. The other 5% are the stereotypes you see on TV. You need to broaden your horizons past your couch cushions and get a glimpse of the real world outside.

Fence is done. It isn't perfect but I'm ok with it.

Last edited by BigBusa1; 09-02-2010 at 12:38 PM.

Looks just fine. Don't beat yourself up of the lack of perfection. No such thing.

Gar

Godspeed little buddy

37. Default Re: Vinyl fence gate gap question

I dont think I have ever seen a house entrance right on the sidewalk like that. You must get a lot of JW's, freaks and junkies knocking on your door.

The fence looks great

Looks good. But why are there two entrances?
    Last edited by SEE YA; 09-02-2010 at 12:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan_Carumba View Post
    I dont think I have ever seen a house entrance right on the sidewalk like that. You must get a lot of JW's, freaks and junkies knocking on your door.

The fence looks great
    Most cities have homes very near the sidewalks and streets.

Cold callers & religious freaks used to be an issue.

I stuck this little sign over our doorbell and we haven't been bothered much since.

Before the sign, about 2 idiots a week would ring our bell for one thing or another.

40. Default Re: Vinyl fence gate gap question

If that is their example of their most expensive product line, I honestly cringe at the thought of their least costly example.

Sorry man, it looks like shit. If it was the economy model, I would say you got what you paid for. But you claim to have paid for expensive and custom. That is by far sad to say the least. Demand it or get it elsewhere.

you have 2 filler panels but 5 gaps? That is a huge issue.

The bottom and top lines should match or show consistency. They are no where near "flowing".

and that is just from your last photo.

id be annoyed as hell that all the inserts arent at least level with each other...or at least appear to be from the street view.

the gate looks like its at a different angle...and the last fence is considerably lower.

perhaps if it were an all solid fence or somethin...but...meh. hope you didnt pay much for that.
    "What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."

42. Default Re: Vinyl fence gate gap question

id be annoyed as hell that all the inserts arent at least level with each other...or at least appear to be from the street view.

the gate looks like its at a different angle...and the last fence is considerably lower.

perhaps if it were an all solid fence or somethin...but...meh. hope you didnt pay much for that.

exactly....

if it was cheap or he would had installed it himself that would be one thing.

This was to have been expensive and professionally installed? Fuck them. Do it over or yank it out, another company can do it the proper way.

Ahhhh....The "Florida Boyz".....

Quote Originally Posted by SEE YA View Post
    But why are there two entrances?

All B.S. aside...like 3/4 of it...don't like the bottom..it's not "symetrical". Sorry. It just dosen't follow a "line" ( Miami thing ). Just my .02

Looks like shit at the bottom. Quality you would get if you had Home Depot install it.

If I had installed that fence myself, I would still tear it out and redo it, not patch it with filler strips. Did you even go look at this guys other work? The only difference between a cheap fence and an expensive one, is the quality of the materials. The labor and workmanship should all be the same.

Did they put their company logo on your fence, facing the street? I'm betting they didn't.

Yeah, I'm not completely satisfied. I've had em back twice so far to fix shit. They'll come back once more to put filler strips under the gates and then this ordeal is over.

I did look at his other work. That's how I found him. The woman I spoke to was very happy with his work. I thought it looked great too. He has lived and worked in this city for 30+ years. He did my neighbors stockade fence 15 years ago. It's still standing.

I'm gonna make him put his sign on the front. He did say he wanted to put it on the side like you mentioned. I wouldn't want my name on this fence if my livelihood depended on it.

I can't leave my dog out alone anymore. He can get out and would get killed in the street in the blink of an eye.

Notice the pegged holes on the left gate pole?! The workers put the hinges on the wrong side. I went over all that with the boss days ago. He knew what I wanted but evidently didn't convey it to his workers.

He looks like he knows he's busted!

Put filler panels under the gates and even under that first panel by the house, just to keep it all even. My posts stick up higher above the fence as I had all the panels mounted lower as I described earlier. Right into the ground lower.

Gar

Godspeed little buddy

Done. They came back and finished up today. I had them put filler pieces under both gates and the panel nearest the house. If they'd done it right, it wouldn't need filler panels. They claimed the terrain and hill kept them from putting the posts in deeper. But whatever. It's done and looks pretty good IMO. With the addition of the 2nd gate, I can get my scooters and toys off the street and behind a locked fence. Out of sight, out of mind.

Last edited by BigBusa1; 09-04-2010 at 07:59 PM.

The place has come a long way in the last 5 years. New... roof, all windows, berber carpet, toilets, sinks, paint, refinished hardwood stairway inside, front door, rear door, boiler, hot water heater, hot tub, front porch, appliances and more I can't think of right now.

This is the original sales flier from 2005.